Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

HELP! Cat 400 4x4 dies after 15mins of riding!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Cat 400 4x4 dies after 15mins of riding!

my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 fis dies after about 10-15 mins of riding. it will start after about a couple of minutes but it will bog and die after 2 minutes of riding. Anybody know how to fix?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

check your vent tubes. may be kinked or clogged.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, the vent tubes would be a good place to start. There should be one the fuel tank and one on the carb itself. It has been my experience that the one on the tank clogs causes a vapor lock.

You basically need to know if it is dying because of too much or too little fuel. Pluf color usually tells you this. Black means too much fuel and engine is running rich, white is too lean and means to enough fuel. A nice tan color is just right.

By chance does your 2006 AC have an electric choke?

SJ

Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 AC 400 fis 4x4

Yes swampyjunior the 2006 AC 400 does have the electric choke i have a 2006 AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 and it has the electric choke , i think the 2006 model was the first to have the electric choke ; i would replace all the cheap fuel and vent hose with the automotive rubber hose i had the fuel hose that goes from the fuel filter to the carb bust where it goes around the intake to carb at 279 miles !

If i hadn't cautch it in time it would've cause a fire under the seat while i riding because fuel was running down the hose to the fuel filter , the fuel filter and battery and solenold a single spark from the solenold would've been all it's take's to cause a fire because the fuel filter and all the hoses are less than 8" to 10" away from this solenold ; i don'r for the life of me why these fuel hose and vent line's are made of cheap plastic instead of the good rubber ones they use to use !

And my owners manual call's for replacing these hose every 2 ys. , so my guess is it's all about $$$$ they know they can make more for the Dealerships and AC ; with so much cost for these ATV's they should've put the best fuel and vent line's like they use to !......

Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Williebe, I was pretty sure it did. I was wondering if the electric choke could be shorting out?

Also, I remember reading some posts on here a while ago where there were similar symptoms but it ended up being the voltage regulator or the magnets on the magneto.

Williebee, if you want to see a ton of hoses that are just waiting to break look under the seat of a new Honda. I am not sure how many of them are critical hoses but wow there was a lot.

SJ

Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 99 ac 300 it takes alot to start and alot of the tim it has to be push started with starting fluid but it starts.other thing is that after riding it for a little while i pull the plug out and its all black with carbon could that mean that its gettin to much gas and its runnin rich

it runs but i need help with this

Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

swampyjunior it's possible that the electric choke could be shorting out it could also be that the fuel pump ( also electric ) could be shorting i don't have a good O.E.M. shop manual for my AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 , but when i first turn on the ignition switch i wait untill the display come's up you can hear a clicking sound while the display is cycling on ; the clicking sound is the fuel pump putting the fuel pressure building up in the line that goes to the carb on a warm day i don't even have to use the choke on startup just when it cold like below 40 degree .

One thing you could try is unhooking the electrical connector's and use some battery terminal cleaner ( the spray type ) works best , then let it dry then use dielectric grease in the connecters to prevent corroision from coming back ; and about the Honda fuel and vent lines only the one's that come from the fuel pump to the fuel filter have fuel pressure on them the other's are vent line's and you're right there are alot of the one's that do have fuel pressure on them !

That's why i would change all those cheap plastic hose to the goodyear automotive type that was used on the older quad's and motorcycle's of previous year models !........

Old 05-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 99ac300
i have a 99 ac 300 it takes alot to start and alot of the tim it has to be push started with starting fluid but it starts.other thing is that after riding it for a little while i pull the plug out and its all black with carbon could that mean that its gettin to much gas and its runnin rich

it runs but i need help with this
99ac300 there are selveral things that could cause this from carb cleaning and adjustment to valve adjustment , i would suggest adding some Sea Foam to the fuel tank and topping it to mix and run a tank or two Sea Foam cleans the entire fuel system including burning off exccessive carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber ; i've seen it used with good results even without removing the carb for cleaning !

If this doesn't work then you'll need to remove the carb and tear it down for a good cleaning and it wouldn't hurt to check those valves spect's and adjust if needed , chanch's are being a 99' model they will need an adjustment if it hasn't been done since it was new ; good luck with your 300 they're great little quads !........

Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same Problem -- 2003 250cc

I have the same problem...I think. She runs fine for about 5-10 minutes then starts to bog down and will die if you don't milk the throttle. You can then keep it moving ... but low throttle, very slowly and in low gear.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I fixed the problem. A guy that can fix anything told me to try riding with the gas cap loose because my cap doesnt have the air vent thingy which was creating a vaccuum type thing to happen in the gas tank. I dont know if that is mechanically correct but it works great now.

Quick Reply: HELP! Cat 400 4x4 dies after 15mins of riding!