Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 650 V2 smoked the belt need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 650 V2 smoked the belt need help

Well I smoked my first belt today pulling a buddy out of a mud hole in reverse, so its going in to the dealer soon for a new one. Now is there anything besides clutch springs I should look at to help beef it up a little? I plan on having the dealer put on a factory belt unless there is a heavy duty one I should look at and I plan on getting some EPI primary and secondary springs but my question is what colors should I get? Plus is there anything to help out reverse on these machines? It seems pretty useless on them, guess I should have my winch moved to the back lol, I guess I cant complain I got 730 miles out of it and 3 seasons of plowing heavy snow. As for the springs I ride mainly trails but occasionally play in the mud and pull out friends and I have a pipe, dynatek and 27" Gators. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I've been plowing for 3 winters and have 6100 km on my V2. I put a dalton cluch kit on it a month after I bought it and I run 28 in Mud lites on it...My belt has never smoked or slipped yet but I'm sure it will happen soon...the clutch kit works great. I never pull or push anything unless in low gear..These machines are awesome! I was thinking about trading but I haven't found a cat that offers enough to make me get rid of mine...

Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don`t listen to Catmanv2 he is a belt smoker . I also have an 05 and the only time I smoked the belt was in reverse other than that I haven`t had any problems and the belt was fine after that. I also have a Dalton clutch kit and run 28" gators and they are great for pulling Catmanv2 out of mud holes.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the EPI pink primary and black secondary today. Which belt should I go with? Stock or Brute Force 750 or EPI Severe duty? Also Im having the dealer change it for me should I tell them to fix the shim issue these have? Plus how long does it usually take to change out the springs?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 650 V2 smoked the belt need help

Originally Posted by AC650V2GUY
Well I smoked my first belt today pulling a buddy out of a mud hole in reverse, so its going in to the dealer soon for a new one. Now is there anything besides clutch springs I should look at to help beef it up a little? I plan on having the dealer put on a factory belt unless there is a heavy duty one I should look at and I plan on getting some EPI primary and secondary springs but my question is what colors should I get? Plus is there anything to help out reverse on these machines? It seems pretty useless on them, guess I should have my winch moved to the back lol, I guess I cant complain I got 730 miles out of it and 3 seasons of plowing heavy snow. As for the springs I ride mainly trails but occasionally play in the mud and pull out friends and I have a pipe, dynatek and 27" Gators. Any help is appreciated.
Arctic Cat had a gearing issue with the 2005 AC 650V2 model's smoking belt's there was a recall whitch was taken care of by the Dealer's , and the 2006 model's gearing ( last year they made the Kawsaki engine ) model's included the gearing issue , if your 05 wasn't fixed under the recall this could be the problem you're having ; and other owner's have stressed that you use low range when you're running under 40 mph to ensure belt life !
Hope this is of some help to you , williebee !..............