Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck in gear

i have a 2001 250 arctic cat. shut it off in 4th gear. know its stuck in 4th gear wont shift up or down need help. thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

get on it, turn it on, stand up, and rock back and forth while down shifting. Or, if it has the start in gear feature, pull the brake lever,start it up and move forward a bit then it should let you shift.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

got wheeler started by pull rope still wont shift. rode in 4th gear still couldnt shift up or down

Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

can you get the shifter to move up or down, or is it just stuck? Im wondering if it needs to be adjusted. never heard of this before. Not sure what else to try without looking at it.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stuck in gear

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
get on it, turn it on, stand up, and rock back and forth while down shifting. Or, if it has the start in gear feature, pull the brake lever,start it up and move forward a bit then it should let you shift.
I think the 250 Arctic Cat is the same as the 250 Suzuki and has a shift cable that's routed from the shift lever to the foot shifter , if i'm correct the shift cable may need an adjustment you should check to see if the shift lever move's when you're pushing down or pulling up on the foot shifter ; the shift lever is located at the rear of the engine between the rear wheel's .

I owned a 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 and my cousin owned an 89' Suzuki LT4WD 250 QuadRunner and both of these quads had the same setup for shifting , the shift cable is the only thing i didn't like about these Suzuki model's , and AC used these same two engine's on the AC 250 and 300's whitch made them alittle harder to change gear's ; this made it nessary to rock the quad when the engine was down shifted before cutting of the ignition in gear !

Hopefully the shift cable just need a simple adjustment , this should take care of the problem if the cable hasn't come loose or broken ; good luck and welcome to the forums !

Williebee.......

Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

the cable moves the shift lever. how can i adjust the cable. i can jump up and down on the shifter it feels tight. could it be internal. if so is that expensive

Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stuck in gear

Originally Posted by threeeleven24
the cable moves the shift lever. how can i adjust the cable. i can jump up and down on the shifter it feels tight. could it be internal. if so is that expensive
There should be an adjuster close to where the foot shifter connects to the cable it has a lock/nut on the cable adjuster , you loosen the lock/nut and turn the adjuster clockwise or counter/clockwise to tighten or loosen the shift cable ; it's been over a year since i did the adjustment on my old 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ and i only had to do the adjustment once since it was new.

It's possible that the shift lever mounted on the shaft that comes out of the engine/gearcase could've slipped on the spline's of the shift/shaft , but that could only happen if the nut that clamp's the lever to the spline's on the shaft coming out of the engine/gear case ; something else that could have something to do with shifting the gear's is if the clutch need's an adjustment , after i sold it to my brother in 2006 the clutch started slipping because he rode it hard lugging the engine !

You could try adjusting the clutch first if you've never done an adjustment since it was new , there's a black plastic cap that cover's the adjuster on the clutch side of the engine that's hard to get to it ; you have to remove the rear wheel to access the adjuster on these quad's .

If i remember correctly the black cap just snap's off exposing the lock/nut and adjuster screw and there should be 2 arrow's with the word's increase and decrease , you loosen lock/nut and turn it counter/clockwise untill you feel a slight resistance , then turn the adjusting screw clockwise 1/4 turn and tighten the lock/nut while holding the adjusting screw to keep it from turning : the adjusting screw has a slot that you can use a flat/head screw/driver to keep it from turning as you tighten the lock/nut !

I hope one of the thing's i've suggested does the trick because if it's something internal that need's replaced it'll be expensive , but if it is some internal part that need's replaced get a price quote from Arctic Cat and Suzuki Dealership to see which one's the cheapest ; where i live the AC Dealer was cheaper than Suzuki !

Good luck and i hope it's nothing more than just an adjustment that you can do yourself , the Dealership here where i live charge $90.00 an hour + part's , and they charge for an hour even if it only take's them 10 minutes for the job ; that's why i started doing all my own labor instead of taking them to the Dealership for service and repair !

williebee.......