Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Crappy Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Fuel

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the quality of the unleaded fuel lately? I have just been seeing lots of posts lately on clogged carb jets/floats from gunk in the fuel but most is due to storage.

I have tried fuel from 3 different stations and when I run it through a funnel I have with a paper filter there is just a ton of redish brown gunk or floaters in it. I even tried the premium stuff. The stuff I am seeing looks like manganese algae that you find in some tap water. I think my problem is linked to the fact that nearly all our unleaded fuel is produced at the same place and distributed to the different stations.

I was also wondering if this is due to some type of fuel additive? I do not think there is much we can do about it other than be aware.

Swampyjunior

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

could explain all the bad fuel gauge complaints.

when I cleaned my sending unit on my TRV, it was "corroded" with a green oxidation-like buildup on the electrodes. I cleaned it all w/rubbing alcohol and it worked PERFCT! - for 50 miles. Now it just reads 1/4 or flashes empty.

It goes to the dealer on monday for replacement.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

I just finished cleaning out the carb and the fuel tank of a friends Honda Atv. It had the same redish dust like stuff all caked into the carb making the float stick. So out of curiosity I removed his fuel tank and emptied it into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Sure enough it was full of LOTS of the same redish brown crap and some green chunks.

Only thing is he is more **** about fuel stabilizer than anyone I know and still has the problem. He uses so much SeaFoam that he buys it by the gallon!

I stopped using the fuel gauge a long time ago and just go off miles traveled. If I get near 100 miles and am not near any additional fuel I am in trouble.

SJ

Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post crappy fuel

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the quality of the unleaded fuel lately? I have just been seeing lots of posts lately on clogged carb jets/floats from gunk in the fuel but most is due to storage.

I have tried fuel from 3 different stations and when I run it through a funnel I have with a paper filter there is just a ton of redish brown gunk or floaters in it. I even tried the premium stuff. The stuff I am seeing looks like manganese algae that you find in some tap water. I think my problem is linked to the fact that nearly all our unleaded fuel is produced at the same place and distributed to the different stations.

I was also wondering if this is due to some type of fuel additive? I do not think there is much we can do about it other than be aware.

Swampyjunior
Guys i used to have the same problem you're having now and i finally found the answer to this problem , i noticed that when i bought fuel from stations when their tanks were low gunk and even trash would be sucked from the bottom of these tanks ; i also knew that when the fuel tankers were pumping fuel from tankers trucks all this gunk and trash that was in the tanks while being filled was not a good time for a fill up so i would pass this station and go to another station or come back six to eight hours later to give the crap to sink back to the bottom before a fill up !

I worked for a gas station back in the late 60's and i had alot of complaites from customers about getting water in their gas tanks , after that i would have the distributer to make their deliveries after closing time so the water , gunk and trash would have time to settle back to the bottom of the tank by the next morning ; i also kept a close watch on the tanks to make sure they didn't get low enough to pickup the crap before they delivered fuel and the problem was solved !

The trouble nowadays is that many stations don't keep a close enough check on how low their tanks get and start picking up the crap before they reorder fuel , i would deffindly not fill my fuel tank and gas jugs when you see a tanker truck unloading ; wait untill the next day or buy just enough gas at another station even if its a little higher price at the one you usally fill up then fill up the next day at your station !

williebee..............

Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Hey Swampy, long time no see! Anyway, I remember when I was in Alaska all the gas we had was crappy. Could be your first issue. What I did was just add a $3 inline fuel filter. Worked perfect. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Catterman, are you coming "way" north again?

I have a small in line filter on my machines that is clear and I have to change it about every 6 months as it turns a red/brown color and I no longer trust it. Funny thing is I filter my fuel prior to putting it into my ATV tank. Then it gets filtered again on its way to the carb. I have a friend that said he believes there is an additive that is in the fuel that may be reacting to something causing the fuel to absorb water and the water then grows an algae like substance that is redish colored.

I still think with what we all pay at the pump we should be getting a better product. My neighbor thinks our fuel is made in China that's why its so poor quality. Course he has always been a few fries short of a happy meal.

SJ

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Try to buy ethanol free fuel. The corn ethanol (E85) doesn't store well because the ethanol separates from the gas after a short period of time, in fact, the motorcycle manufacturers complained bitterly to Congress (to no avail) about this; since the cost of repairs would fall on their shoulders.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

if you add those cleaners to your gas does that help burn up the crappy rez or is that not reccomended to do with atv's

Old 07-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bassballs818
if you add those cleaners to your gas does that help burn up the crappy rez or is that not reccomended to do with atv's
I would pour out the crappy fuel. If you try to burn it, you may clog a jet or an injector. Both are more of a hassle and expense than a few gallons of gas. IMHO.

I would buy a Mr Funnel-

Home

Or get a ProFill Fuel Filter-

PROFILL MAIN PAGE

Either one works well.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Range Rover

I am using ethanol free fuel for about 5months now and it is working fine with me.

Quick Reply: Crappy Fuel