Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2007 650 TRV Parts Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
No Ruts, No Glory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 650 TRV Parts Problems

Okay, this isn't the most popular of models apparently, given the total lack of available aftermarket parts. This is my first full auto quad, having resisted them for years until I needed to get a 2-up and the only 2-ups are full-autos.

So, I am prepping my AC 650 TRV for bashing around in Utah, and need full armor for all 4 a-arms as well as a skid plate....does anybody make them? And apparently WARN doesn't make a bumper for 650 ACs, does anyone know where a bumper, OTHER than the factory option, might be available? (I want something a bit more bash-worthy)

Also....for me....the front and rear brakes linked into one lever SUCKS! Does anyone know of a kit that will allow me to split the system and install another lever for seperate front and rear brake systems? (like most ATVs have)

Since my 2007 was bought used, I want to replace the belt...anyone have DIRECT experience with any certain aftermarket brands, or stock for that matter? Buddy of mine had an aftermarket belt on his Griz, and it crapped out on him in less than a year, whereas his stock belt lasted for 3 years with LOTS of riding in tough terrain and conditions

I will also be trading the 26" Mudlites tires off my 500 Vinson 5-speed onto the AC, and want to know if even this small of a tire increase will need a clutch kit installed to offset the tire size...please, no speculations here...I want info from riders with actual experience (doesn't have to be AC specific, just similar tire increases on autos)

Thanks for your time

Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

I live in Utah and ride a '07 650 TRV. My TRV has had stock clutching with 26" Terracross tires on it since it was new (3,000 miles). You should have no problems with the MudLites. If you normally ride close to sea level you might want to rejet coming to Utah. I ride from 5,000 to 11,000+ ft. elevations depending on where we go. If you are jetted for sea level you will be extremely rich at even moderate elevations here. I have no sign of belt wear at this point. These engines seem to be excellent for belt life. They have a separate wet clutch setup that eliminates having to have the clutch spinning on the belt all of the time. I still have the stock skid plate and a-arm protectors and have never had any problems with the setup. I've ridden all over Utah with no problems. I have not looked for accessory bumpers. But the front end on the TRV is the same as the shorter quads. I would think any bumper for AC would work on it. And I have not had any problems with the single lever (plus foot lever) brakes on any of my 3 AC quads. I guess it becomes a personal preference. I have no desire to separate mine.

I hope you have a great time riding in Utah. We are fortunate to have many great areas to ride. I just came back from three days riding on the Paiute Trail last weekend. We had a great time. I'll be going back next month for five days. Good luck with getting your machine set up the way you want it. I have really enjoyed mine.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Jetting - If you will be riding at high elevation you may need to rejet the carb. If you bought it in Utah they are sometimes already are jetted, sometimes not. I have never had to jet my ATV for elevation so I can make any suggestions of what to change it to if needed.

Armour Skid plates - If you are looking for the aluminum skid plates I would suggest you stick to the lexan plastic stock plate (assuming it came with it). The reason being the aluminum will stick to rocks and not slide while the plastic will slide. I have pounded the plastic skid plate hard on rocks here on my beaches and never had an issue.

Belts - My 500 TRV has the stock belt on its auto tranny. I plow snow in the winter, bash it down a beach and up/down hills through mud, rocks and sand during the summer usually towing a heavy trailer. Never had an issue with the belt. I have just over 12,000 miles on the machine. The AC (or should I say Suzuki) duromatic tranny is much better than others out there. Some of hunting partners who have a Polaris or a Griz are on there 2nd, 3rd or 4th belt doing the same things I am. So unless you suspect the belt has been roasted already for some reason. I would say stay with it.

Bumper- Might want to look for 650 AC bumpers and after market parts. May be much easier to find. My 500 TRV is identical (excepts for length of frame and exhaust) to a 500 AC ATV.

Tires - I run 26 inch mudlites on my 500 TRV no problems. I am on my 2nd set. I have stock clutch. Still hits 50+mph with 2 adults and plows snow beautifully.

Brakes - I am not aware of any conversions but with the engine braking you have from the engine and 4x4 low gear you should not need them for hills. Takes a little getting used to but you have 2 front disc and 1 rear all on one lever. Your front is what does the stopping. You should also have a 2nd rear brake that used to be mechanical but switched to hydrolic around 2007.

Fender flares - I am adding this. If your machine does not have them you may want to add them to keep what little mud you may find and the gravel you will from being thrown out where it can hit you.

Sorry for the long reply.

SJ

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
Jetting - If you will be riding at high elevation you may need to rejet the carb. If you bought it in Utah they are sometimes already are jetted, sometimes not. I have never had to jet my ATV for elevation so I can make any suggestions of what to change it to if needed.

Armour Skid plates - If you are looking for the aluminum skid plates I would suggest you stick to the lexan plastic stock plate (assuming it came with it). The reason being the aluminum will stick to rocks and not slide while the plastic will slide. I have pounded the plastic skid plate hard on rocks here on my beaches and never had an issue.

Belts - My 500 TRV has the stock belt on its auto tranny. I plow snow in the winter, bash it down a beach and up/down hills through mud, rocks and sand during the summer usually towing a heavy trailer. Never had an issue with the belt. I have just over 12,000 miles on the machine. The AC (or should I say Suzuki) duromatic tranny is much better than others out there. Some of hunting partners who have a Polaris or a Griz are on there 2nd, 3rd or 4th belt doing the same things I am. So unless you suspect the belt has been roasted already for some reason. I would say stay with it.

Bumper- Might want to look for 650 AC bumpers and after market parts. May be much easier to find. My 500 TRV is identical (excepts for length of frame and exhaust) to a 500 AC ATV.

Tires - I run 26 inch mudlites on my 500 TRV no problems. I am on my 2nd set. I have stock clutch. Still hits 50+mph with 2 adults and plows snow beautifully.

Brakes - I am not aware of any conversions but with the engine braking you have from the engine and 4x4 low gear you should not need them for hills. Takes a little getting used to but you have 2 front disc and 1 rear all on one lever. Your front is what does the stopping. You should also have a 2nd rear brake that used to be mechanical but switched to hydrolic around 2007.

Fender flares - I am adding this. If your machine does not have them you may want to add them to keep what little mud you may find and the gravel you will from being thrown out where it can hit you.

Sorry for the long reply.

SJ
thanks for this one. did not mind if it was long. it was still useful.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

hey as for the bumpers go i have the ac front and rear and they look great and have a great fit. they are plenty strong, my winch is mounted on mine and its just fine.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

If you are still planning that trip to Utah I would advise against the additional fender flares. Much of the riding here is on BLM and National Forest land and many of the best trails are designated for 50" or less and your stock machine is almost that wide. If you add flares you will most likely be over width and should not ride those trails.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Thanks for the input guys...yeah the rejetting will be a drag, but I just couldn't find a 700efi without all the extra windshields and suitcases so I went with the 650 (got a great deal on it) I will probably install a Dial-A-Jet on it like I have on my other quads.

The brakes are simply a matter of personal preference...I just like being in total control of my machine (which is one reason why I have resisted automatics for so long...I bought my new Challenger RT with the 6 speed even though the auto is quicker) I think HotSeat makes a kit for a polaris system, which might work on my cat.

M74, I have been to your beautiful state several times and I always look forward to going back...I love the Paiute trail and the communities that support it...what a great deal for our sport...I just hate the long drive from Fort Worth Texas.
Trail 66, which my buddies and I refer to as "The Ball-Buster" is indeed off limits to 50" wide vehicles..it's a great test of fortitude (my first time to conquer it was in 1996 on a Honda TRX300EX, and I almost smoked the clutch climbing those boulders)

I appreciate the info on the belt...I'll leave the stocker in and carry a spare just in case

Ricochet makes a full set of aluminum skids and A-arm guards for the TRVs for just under $400

Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

The usual argument I hear from my riding buddies for separate brake levers is for "control" as for them not liking the one brake lever. So I then ask: "So do you have two brake levers installed in your car/truck for the same reason?" One of them drives a nice sporty convertible for a few month of the year.

They answer "no" and after further talking the truth comes out and they like the two brake levers on the ATV so they can lock up the front tires and spin the rear to roost people with mud or to lock up the rear to skid with. Neither case has anything to do with control. Not that you fall into either of these groups but one brake pedal has worked on cars for years. But it is personal preference.

I will also add that the engine braking in the Cat is excellent. So good that I rarely use my brakes. I did not know that Hotseat makes a conversion kit so you can possibly get two brake levers on a Cat. I made a note of it in my service manual log for when my riding buddies start complaining again.

SJ

Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
The usual argument I hear from my riding buddies for separate brake levers is for "control" as for them not liking the one brake lever. So I then ask: "So do you have two brake levers installed in your car/truck for the same reason?" One of them drives a nice sporty convertible for a few month of the year.

They answer "no" and after further talking the truth comes out and they like the two brake levers on the ATV so they can lock up the front tires and spin the rear to roost people with mud or to lock up the rear to skid with. Neither case has anything to do with control. Not that you fall into either of these groups but one brake pedal has worked on cars for years. But it is personal preference.

SJ
Gotta disagree with you there Swampster...ATVs are entirely different beasts when it comes to controlling them...biggest difference is that we use "body english" to help distribute our weight when we turn corners on ATVs....and unless you drive something with such a high center of gravity that it makes a suzuki samurai seem like a formula 1, you don't hang out the window of the truck/car to corner do you?

Locking up the rear wheels to skid around a (sharp) corner is one way of turning corners that is used by racers as well as aggressive riders. (I have been one and still am the other) I grant you that the big AC is no TRX250R, but it is still an element of control that I prefer to have. My Vinson, as big as it is, handles very well and I use the rear brakes to negotiate sharp turns at speed all the time

More importantly, having the ability to apply front and rear brakes seperately can mean the difference between getting out of a hairy hillside situation or endoing and tumbling down the hill. On some of the "hills from hell" I have ridden, I have been in those situations and seperate brakes made the difference.

It is a matter of preference, yes...but it is clearly an element of control as well.

And, yes...I have roosted the heck out of some riding buddies with the "front wheels locked" technique, but it is not the reason for having seperate brake controls

Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2007 650 TRV Parts Problem

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
Gotta disagree with you there Swampster...ATVs are entirely different beasts when it comes to controlling them...biggest difference is that we use "body english" to help distribute our weight when we turn corners on ATVs....and unless you drive something with such a high center of gravity that it makes a suzuki samurai seem like a formula 1, you don't hang out the window of the truck/car to corner do you?

Locking up the rear wheels to skid around a (sharp) corner is one way of turning corners that is used by racers as well as aggressive riders. (I have been one and still am the other) I grant you that the big AC is no TRX250R, but it is still an element of control that I prefer to have. My Vinson, as big as it is, handles very well and I use the rear brakes to negotiate sharp turns at speed all the time

More importantly, having the ability to apply front and rear brakes seperately can mean the difference between getting out of a hairy hillside situation or endoing and tumbling down the hill. On some of the "hills from hell" I have ridden, I have been in those situations and seperate brakes made the difference.

It is a matter of preference, yes...but it is clearly an element of control as well.

And, yes...I have roosted the heck out of some riding buddies with the "front wheels locked" technique, but it is not the reason for having seperate brake controls
I can see both sides on the subject of two seperate hand brake levers , one being the need to use your front brake on steep hills where you don't make it to the top and start losing traction or bog down because you weren't in the right gear ; in this situation you can and will roll backward down the hill causing major injuries or even death !

On the other hand if you make the mistake of grabbing the wrong brake lever out of fear or confustion you can draw your own conclusion in the outcome to the riders chanch of survival , this thought about having two seperate brake lever's come's from me by experious when my cousin lost traction on a very steep hill climb at some local pipelines we had ridden hundred's of time's in the first year we first started riding ATV's in late 1989 out of fear when his 1989 Suzuki LT4WD 250 QuadRunner whitch just happened to have seperate hand brake lever's ; when he hit the rear brake by accident the front wheel's came off the ground luck would have it that it didn't flip over backward's in this case .

But he was in great fear of rolling it down the hill and he froze up from the fear and didn't know what to do , i was able to get him back down this hill by backing my 1986 Honda TRX350FM Foreman 4x4 up the hill making contact with our rear rack's and having after finally talking him into releasing his brake's and use my quad as the brake's to ease both quad's safely down the hill ; my point is even an experioused rider can make a mistake that and quickly cause preature death .

So i would have to agree with swampyjunior on this one for the sake of saftey first and formost with both newbies and pro rider's as well !
williebee..........

Quick Reply: 2007 650 TRV Parts Problems