Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

to chip or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to chip or no?

so i have a 08 700 efi suzuki engine. has anyone used any of these chips on these engines. i see these chips on ebay for 30 bucks, that add 30 hp. sounds like a buncha bs to me but just owndering if any of u have used them?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

I bought a vdi copperhead for mine and it works pretty well for my altitude. im also running 28" swamplites, so its programmed for them. Supposed to add 8hp and it might, and it doesnt seem to help much in speed which is fine with me. i just want torque/power to help with my tires. i had my friend ride it yesterday and he noticed quite a bit of power. it wants to wheelie a bit more now,but it wont and going down the trail it actually kicks sideways a bit when you hammer down. never did that in stock form. Now when i took it out to wyoming and tried riding at 8,000 feet, it didnt run. it started and idled fine ,but once you gave it gas it just died. I also found out it wont allow me to pull start it. When i changed over to the factory ecu to run in wyoming it fired right up on the first pull and did great everywhere i went. infact i'm gonna call the guy on that this week. The plus side to having it though is that i can program it for the altitude i want and it will run fine,but im not gonna worry about it. its faster for me to just switch them out when i go out west for hunting. oh yeah, i dont think them ebay chips add 30 hp. if they did, everyone would use them and you would hear about them more often.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

yea i figured those were crap. where did you get your chip and how much was it. what altitude are u at, im in mn idk what altitude but i can always look into it before buying a chip. thanks for your help!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i went to the Velocity Devises Inc. (VDI) web site and called them. Its pricy at 400.00 u.s. dollars but i figured its easy to install,they program it to what you have,model of you bike,and if you are running larger tires. It has 2 settings. 1st is in stock form,or just larger tires which means it will give you back the power you lost running the larger tires. 2nd setting is for up grades like a pipe,ect...The other thing is you can program it yourself for what you want. I havent done this yet,so im not sure what all is involved. My elavation is about 600 ft( st louis ,mo.),and it ran fine when i rode at about 3500 feet in wyoming,but once i got up to 8,000 ft. it wouldnt run right. too much fuel,you could smell it. Now you can program it for 8,000 if you want,but for me it was just easier to switch my ECU out with the stock one. I called on that issue,and was told it doesnt register the barametric pressure like the stock does.