Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Is this a good deal on an arctic cat?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a good deal on an arctic cat?

I found an 05 arctic cat 500 4x4- Winch and all- Guy said he'd take $3k for it... It looks like it's in nice shape- What do you guys think???

Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good as long as there aint a ton a miles on it

Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

CHECK OUT THIS EBAY AD- TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK...

2005 artic cat 500 4x4:eBay Motors (item 250489270610 end time Sep-03-09 16:49:09 PDT)

sorry for the caps-

Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

looks like a decent deal, what does it book at? cosmetically a little rough, if you look around u could prolly find one in nicer shape for same money, best bet is to buy a new hold over, thats what i did saved 2 grand over new price, i know thats not always a option. just my opinion good luck with what ever u decide

Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Well- I only have $3k- and it's burning a hole in my pocket- I need to buy another ATV before I blow it on something dumb & boring like bills!

Old 08-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

Looks like that AC 500 with a manual tranny machine is just broke in. I think you can see 1400 mi or something like that in one photo? The 500 is a solid machine although some people prefer the auto tranny. Personal preference though but most just do not like the heel toe shifter.

New the machine sold for probably $5400 or so. So looking at just mileage 1400 miles in 4 years is about 350 miles a year. It probably gets about 80-100 miles per tank of fuel which means about 3-5 tanks a fuel per year. I would consider that low to normal mileage. If it was used for mudding I would inspect the wheel bearings, axles and CV joints. Then if the engine runs good, goes into 4x4 OK, and shifts ok with no slipping of the clutch I would say buy it!

The one photo does make it appear that that it leans to one side but it could just be my eyes and the way the picture was taken. I have seen ones in much worse shape for sale for $3000 or more.

But, you make the final call as it is your $.

SJ

Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Thank swampy-
I actually decided on a 2005 Suzuki King Quad 700 EFI- Here's the link-

2005 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 EFI Warn Winch Moose Plow

From what I've been reading- they are pretty nice and durable atv's- this guy is selling it for a real good price- thousands below anyone else. I'm heading up this morning to feel it out. Having the plow is nice as well!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Go red

If your buying used or new anything but Artic cat. Go Red I own a rental fleet and the only units that run all the time are the Honda's. Honda has the best resale and today they are very affordable. "If you rent a Honda bring water you will be out all day"- "If you rent the Artic cat bring your phone so I can tow you home". I will sell a 400 2up 2009 for $5000 with 500 miles. "If its not red put it in the shed". I am living the Artic cat night mare, don't do it my friend...

Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Not meaning to pirate the thread here, but..

I think the AC would have been worth the money only if you could verify what the owner did with it and how he rode it. (did he thrash it or did he ride cautiously) I
ride my bikes hard, but I also do thorough maintenance.

Since you made a different choice of a KQ, I will say that the only problems I have heard about them is that they are a little squirrly at speed, something to do with the way the front suspension is designed. If you find it to be a problem, look for some issues of Dirtwheels where they made some adjustments to help correct the problem.

Having owned several Hondas, (15 or more over 40 years of riding) I can attest to their reliability and durability. However, I also have a 2005 Suzuki Vinson that has handled just as much as my Hondas and still has had no problems. My son's first quad, an LT50, has been ridden until it's outgrown by 3 more children since he had it, and it still starts with just a tug of the pullcord. My son's LT160 has never given me trouble other than replacing the battery every few years, and his 2005 Ozark is bulletproof.

Now I have a 650 AC TRV and am looking forward to seeing how it handles Utah and other adventures.

Wingboy, you are obviously pro-Honda (not a bad thing) but do you have any experience with Arctic Cats to where you can legitimately claim they aren't dependable? It seems like most of the other contributors (other than someone who had 400cc two-ups for his rental fleet) have had no more or no less trouble than any other brand, including Hondas

Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I ended up buying the Suzuki KQ. I didn't like the way the AC was sitting in the pics, and I didn't like the way the winch cable was just hanging out all bent out of shape- small stuff- I know, but it gave me a bad feeling.

This beast is tons more powerful then my 99 Honda TRX300fw! The KQ will actually wheelie pretty easily. Like I wrote in the Suzuki forum-
I'm a little weary about all the electronics in it- EFI, electric fan, digital dash and push button 4x4- I'd be nervous about taking it through a deep puddle with all the hi-fi on it! The four wheel independent susp is sweet! I'm a Honda fan as well, however- for some reason Honda does not believe in 4 wheel independent suspension on any of there less expensive models! Plus- Honda seems to lack some of the "comfort" features other utility ATV's have.
I had to have the IRS!!! I'm done with live axles and the rough ride- We have a lot of roots & rocks in the New England trails- not like the central and western parts of the country with all that sand. I'm tired of waking up sore because of the crappy drive a solid axle gives- even with after market shocks!

My father in law has an 03 Ozark, and he punishes it pretty good- thing is reliable as all hell- it never quits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a good deal on an arctic cat?