Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2" lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" lift kit?

Just wondering about whats better...a 2" lift kit or high lifter springs...also what r the benifits of both?
I already have 26" tires.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

why would you need either one, unless you are going to run larger (taller) tires?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

that's why I'm asking as I'm still new to the sport...I do trail riding and some deep mudding along the way.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

I would stick with what you have, and just enjoy getting more riding experience.

The 26's are just right for what you have. You could go a little taller up to a 27", but taller than that and you will lose a noticable amount of low end power, which you need when you are muddin' about.

You will not lose any handling keeping it at the stock height, but a lift kit or high lift springs will raise the center of gravity, making it harder to keep all four on the ground when you are cornering hard or sidehilling...plus if you are riding with a passenger, you are already dealing with a higher COG (center of gravity) which causes more instability.

Were it me, I would get an exhaust pipe and an air filter and adjust my EFI if needed, and get out and ride

Enjoy your cat!!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have had 26inch mud lites and High lifter HD springs on my 400 in the past. I use my machine to haul LOTS of big heavy building materials to my remote hunting cabin. I still use the HD springs but currently run 25 inch mud lite tires. I like this setup better as I feel the engine turns the tires much easier and I still have plenty of ground clearance when carrying a heavy load.

Only thing I know lift kits can do is put added stress on bearings and axles. Add to that taller (and heavier) tires and some thing is probably going to break or wear out faster than one would like it to. I am not too sure exactly how much ground clearance you can gain with highlifter springs. But they do make for a much stiffer ride.

As Texas said, you should also look at what type of riding you do the most of and make sure you are not raising the COG too high and messing with the stability of the machine.

If you are looking to just stiffen the ride up more than the adjustments on the shocks allow I would suggest using hockey pucks. Cheap, durable fix that simply pre-loads the pre-load adjustment on the shocks. I have used it now for about 4 years with zero trouble. Cost about $10 and installed in about an hour (with the proper spring compression tools).

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

why fix something that is not broke??

Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

all true...i'm going to keep my current set up but will post another thread for other questions i have as again i'm new to AC.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 09 500 ho and put the highlifter springs front and rear and itp ss212 on 27"bi/tri claws... and LOVE em!!!! best 180 bucks i spent!!!!! Plus the yellow springs make the bike stand out a little