Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

k and n filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k and n filters

I was just reading an article on ac filters. How bad are they?? i oil the heck out of mine but it its not good i need to buy another one i guess

Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Range Rover

okay second question, I was told by the a couple of different motorcycle shops to just use dish soap and warm water that is what they did. i was my filters every time and i put a lot of oil on it. the only thing is that it effects the first time i start because of the thick oil making it a little harder to breath at first. I also asked several different people at different times and got the same answer to save my money on the oil cleaner. i do use really sticky oil i dont remember the name but that stuff sticks to everything lol. how do u tell if the filter is bad then?? i work nights so i might not get back to responding but id be interested in all your opinions. Oh artic cat dealer sold me the filter and said the same thing too soap and water??

Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Here you go. First, I have never heard of AC filters being bad...they might not flow like a K&N, but they will damned sure filter air better than a K&N.

Use warm soapy water to wash your filter, rinsing thoroughly.

You can squeeze out most of the water, then let it sit for an hour or so in the sun

A thicker oil will give you better filtration. Take a gallon sized ziploc bag and put the filter inside it. Then pour the filter oil into the bag onto the filter. You will be able to use less oil and contain the mess by letting the filter soak up the oil inside the bag.

once you are sure the filter is soaked with oil, you can pour out the excess oil from the bag back into the filter oil container, saving it for the next time you oil the filter. You might also try to squeeze out any excess oil in the filter while it is still in the bag.

reinstall your clean oiled filter, replace air box cover, fire engine, ride to glory

Old 09-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Hey texas thx for the info. i still have my stock air filter. the reason i changed it was because it has a metal screen that the filter goes over it. the screen has these plastic towers that go into the holes of the filter. when cleaned and holding to the sun i can see gaps around the filters and towers which concerned me greatly any ideas thx or anyone else for that matter. im at work right now lol

Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

I noticed the gaps as well. After I had taken the foam filter off the screen and washed, dried, reoiled and refit it back on the screen, it didn't have the gaps anymore

Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Range Rover

oh lol i guess i wasnt the only one then