Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Water in the clutch!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the clutch!!

I went in some water that was just below my wheel wells and 1/2 way across i noticed a loss of traction/tire rotation, but yet the motor and RPM's were fine...after crossing i unscrewed the drain plug on the clutch and of course water started to drain out...i thought as long as i keep the air intake out of the water i shouldn't be sucking water in the engine...please help!!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

There are front and rear vent tubes into the auto transmission. They are nearly the size of your air intake excet there are no filters and such. Water may have sneaked into the transmission cover through those vents OR the seal may be bad and it got sucked into the cover around that.

Either way drain the water out as you did, put the machine in neutral and rev the engine up a few times. Some water may still spit outthe drain hole while doing this. Let teh machine idle for a few minutes, reving it it neutral a few more times. Then put the drain plug back in and get back to the trail.

I think you can put a snorkel on the transmission but I think it may mess with the machines factory warranty if you have one left. Also sucking water into the trans housing is not near as bad as getting it into the engine.

SJ

Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

all my intake hoses are beside the air filter so pretty high...after later inspection i found a loose connection yet again...i ready don't think my local dealer looks at anything before delivery of any ATV. Pop it out of the crate put the tires on and give it to the customer...its kind've a joke there!! Everything is 1/2 assed!!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Well, at certain times 1/2 is better than a whole! (or is that hole).

Last time I was at my local dealer I was offered a job! Seems I noticed some things that were not right with some of their recently "uncrated" machines that were for sale. Things like loose (finger tight) lug nuts, cracked lights etc.

I do not know if they actually sold them like that OR fixed them and then sold them but they are gone now. I was trying to get him to sell me a prowler as a scratch and dent model. He was like where is it dented? So I said "give me a hammer I'll show you!" HE failed to see the humor there though.

While you are looking for loose connections you may want to go though and put some dielectric grease in every wire connection you can find to keep water from shorting something out.

SJ

Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

dersali I have had the same problem with my 650. where did you find a loose connection? I dont really no where to look

Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

He probably found a loose connection on the front or rear trans cover vent. look for the large black hose off the front and rear of the trans cover. Unless the seal onthe trans cover is leaking as well.

SJ

Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks