Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

UNI filter FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNI filter FAQ

just wondering when I buy a UNI filter do I have to change any engine set up or is it drop in and go?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post UNI filter FAQ

Originally Posted by dersali
just wondering when I buy a UNI filter do I have to change any engine set up or is it drop in and go?
The UNI filter has a hole in one end all you need to do is remove the old filter and slide the new one over the carb intake , there should be a clamp with the new filter ; if not you will have to use the old clamp .

williebee........

Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

i no how to install it but i read that u might have to re fire the jets or something...

Old 09-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post UNI filter FAQ

Originally Posted by dersali
i no how to install it but i read that u might have to re fire the jets or something...
You're refering to the need of rejetting the carb for proper air/fuel mixture , most of the time there's no need for rejetting with just changing the O.E.M. factory filter with a UNI style filter ; some even don't need changing the jet size when using a high air flo filter like the K&N filters with the outter wear prefilter .

Rejetting usually is only needed when using the K&N high flo filter with exhaust mod's included , however most manufacturers tend to jet the O.E.M. carb engine's a little lean from the factory to help meet EPA exhaust emissions this was the case with my 2006 AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 ; i still have my stock air filter on my 400 but i intend to install a UNI filter on mine as well after i inspect/adjust my valves if they need it.

What you need to do after installing the UNI filter on your quad is to take it for a test ride of at least 10 , 15 to 30 minute's the way you will normally ride the quad , and do what is called a spark plug check to determine the need to rejet ; be sure to start with a new spark plug with this test and pull the plug and check the color of the electrode/end of your spark plug ( Greyish / white color means you're lean , black color means you're running to rich ; proper color should be a Brown/Tan color ) this means perfect jetting of the air/fuel mixture !

williebee..........

Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

my big thing now is the uni filter the same as k & n filters. Are they worth it...what difference will i see?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

i use the uni i think there a beter filter. after seeing sevral kand n's let dirt in to the intake witch may have been from not enough oil or improper oiling though. dont know about performance tho

Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Range Rover

are the uni filters like the stock filters meaning mine is a flat filter not round. the k and n i bought is the same shape as the stock though. which i hate actually. i dont know why they didnt make them like a motorcycle round ones.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In general, if you are ONLY adding the UNI your jetting should be ok. I prefer foam style filters over K&N for every type of riding except the dunes. Foam does a better job filtereing the fine dust particles when it is dry out, and offers superior protection from mud/water when using the proper filter oil. Speaking of filter oil, I have been using the NoToil product for a few years now because I love its easy clean up and water repellent properties. This may be something to look into, unfortunately uni uses a glue that the notoil cleaning solution dissolves, so you shouldn't use their filter if you do go that route.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

the uni filters are the same as stock shape wise...i also call a local shop and was told the uni filter is almost identical to my stock filter. There both foam and need oiling so why waste the money. they also said according to there customers most people prefer k&n due to there more of a high end filter where some customers complained about uni due to there lack luster performance comparied to stock. In my opinion now i'm going to wait for k&n to make my filter and not waste my time with uni.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

I prefer K&N
About $60can on ebay