Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 400 help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 400 help

hey i have a 2006 400 fis, and after you ride a little bit, it sputters and tries to die and if it does die, it wont start for about 5 mins. any ideas? thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it could have a stuck float/needle in the carb. Fuel slowly trickles into the carb so it will start up again after it sits. This is assuming that you are only able to go like 1/4-1/2 mile before it dies. You may also notice a slight increase in RPM's right before it dies.

If it were mine I would pull the carb, remove the float bowl, clean it reall good and see what happens. I would also check the vent tube on the fuel tank to make sure it is not plugged and while the carb was off I may clean and flush the tank too. That would rule out a fuel issue.

If it continues after this it could then be electrical issue which can be harder to pin point. However, from what you have posted it sounds fuel related to me.

Hope this helps.
SJ

Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok. i think that happened like 2 months ago. i took it out and cleaned it really good and it was fine. now i guess it could be back again....

If it is doing that again, is there a way to prevent it from happening yet again?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

You can try installing a fuel filter in-line between the tank and the carb which are like $10 I would also suggest removing the fuel tank and cleaning it.

The filter does a good job keeping junk out of the carb. You may also want to check your tank vent tube to make sure it is not kinked or plugged causing a vapor lock.

SJ

Last edited by swampyjunior; 10-01-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling