Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2005 500 LE Valve adjustment

Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 500 LE Valve adjustment

OK, I have a 2005 500 LE that was running good and has about 1500 miles on it. It has never been tuned up and was starting to run a little slower than when I first got it. The battery was dead and it would always have to be pull started. I didn't mind doing this and was going to replace the battery when I did the tune up. The four wheeler was running a little rich and I decided to rejet at the same time. So I pull started it and pulled it into the garage and removed all the plastics. took out the carb and cleaned it and rejetted it. Cleaned the air filter and replaced the spark plug. I then decide to check and adjust the valves. The valves seemed really tight and I adjusted them like the manual says. I even bought the 90 dollar tappet adjuster tool they make for this machine. I then set everything as stated in the manual and put everything back together. I go to give it a tug on the pull start and the damn thing locks up. I pull the spark plug and it turns over freely with the rip cord. I pull everything apart again and recheck and adjust all the valves again. Put almost everything back together and try tugging it again, same problem. I then hook a good battery to it and it fires right up. I let it idle a bit and then shut it off and try to tug start it again and locked up again. Then hit the start button and fires right up.
What could the problem be? The book says improper valve adjustment could cause costly damage and I don't want that. What did I do wrong? Any help for those of you that has done it with no problems? What am I missing?
Info, the timing mark was lined up with the mark in the case.
Thanks,
Rob