Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2001 arctic cat 250 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 arctic cat 250 starting problems

So i feel ive done everything possible to get this thing back in running shape, it hasn't been run for over a year now, and just the other day i got it to start again. The only thing is that when i go to take the choke off or give it gas it dies. I think it has to do with the carb. How do i adjust it the right way? Please help me get this going anyone thanks.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

What have you done? To make it run.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Assuming your choke is clean and no jets are plugged in the carb. Settings arefor a Keihin CVK32:

Main jet 138
Slow jet 38
Low speed fuel screw 1 3/4 turns out
Jet needle N8TT
1300-1400rpm idle
Starter jet 60
Float height 17mm

Plug type NGK DR7EA (gap 0.6-.07mm)

Since it dies when you take the choke off I suspect you have a blockage in the carb. The choke is an enrichment system in the older machines and gives it enough fuel to start. But when you turn it off it does means that it probably then stops getting fuel. You could start by checking your plug color but since you have been running it with the choke on it will be black or dark colored.

I would put a new plug in and check its gap, remove the carb and float bowl and clean it with carb cleaner very well, then use compressed air to blow out. If it has sat for a year remove and clean the fuel tank as well.

Then start with fresh fuel, put a little Sea Foam fuel additive in and see what happens. From what you describe above I would say it is currently a fuel issue.

Once you get it running without the choke on then you can adjust it to get the idle and performance back.

Hope this helps.

swampy

Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like you have bad gas in tank and a stopped up pilot. make sure your tank is clean and petcock clean with new gas

Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

Swampy, where did you get those specs? This is what the 2001 Service Manual I have says:

CARBURETOR
Type Mikuni BST31
Main Jet 130
Pilot Jet 45
Pilot Screw Setting (turns) 2 3/4
Jet Needle 4D28-3
Needle Jet P-6M
Idle RPM 1400-1600
Valve Seat 2.0
Float Arm Height 13 mm/(0.5 in.)
Throttle Cable Free-Play(at lever) 3 - 6 mm/(1/8 - 1/4 in.)

Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Took them from a 2003-2004 service manual. It also has specs for the Mikuni Carb. I am not sure which he had but I thought they switched from the Mikuni to the Keihin in 2000?

So I think Arcticrider will have too look at the side of his cab to see which one he has. Sorry for any confusion there Arcticrider.

Swampy

Old 12-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
Took them from a 2003-2004 service manual. It also has specs for the Mikuni Carb. I am not sure which he had but I thought they switched from the Mikuni to the Keihin in 2000?

So I think Arcticrider will have too look at the side of his cab to see which one he has. Sorry for any confusion there Arcticrider.

Swampy
He brought it over to my shop, and we got it fixed up for him.

Jets were clogged up.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Good. Have him get some SeaFoam fuel additive and put in there as well. Just in case he does not ride it very often it will kepp things a little cleaner.

SJ

Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
Good. Have him get some SeaFoam fuel additive and put in there as well. Just in case he does not ride it very often it will kepp things a little cleaner.

SJ
He actually tried seafoam first on my recomendation. Didn't do anything for it, so I tore the carb down.

He just got the quad, and wasn't the one that let it sit for so long. I'm sure he'll be riding alot with me once we get a few more things sorted out on it.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have 2001 arctic 250 that i bought recently. im new to the atv world where this is my first quad ive ever owned. it needed some love when i got it. ive completely cleaned the carb the jets were plugged really bad. i also put in a new starter and a few other things. i did not even think i could get it running but surprisingly i did and it sounds great minus it over idling really bad. i have read some stuff online but im still not sure what to do or how to fix it. the idle adjustment cable does nothing no matter where it is set. i have a 5 year old son that is dying to ride it with me but i slams so hard into gear i dont want to ruin the tranny or anything else. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2001 arctic cat 250 starting problems