Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

4x4 Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be old news to you AC guys...But I just got done reading the 4-wheel ATVaction mag...and do they ever dog the AC 500....Calling it "poky"...what's the deal?....From all i've ever read or heard the AC 500 was a torgue monster...with all the power one would ever need...I'm going to buy a AC in the spring but was just wondering where these guys in the mags come up with this?....Is it because the AC's are not going to win a drag race?...If thats the only reason they got to gripe then there not telling me a thing then.

Old 02-10-2001, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

I would say that most magazines look for more top end speed than pure torque. Put a Cat in low range and see what it takes to stop it. I also believe that because Honda, Yamaha, and Polaris spend more in advertising that the magazines give them a more favorable report. I don't own an A.C. yet, but in all my searching they definately offer the most bang for the buck. I doubt you'll find too many A.C. owners that are dissatisfied.

Old 02-10-2001, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

count me in as a satisfied owner. on all counts.

Old 02-10-2001, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Count me in as well as a satisfied customer. Put my 300 AC 4x4 in low range and I will be like the Ford commercial I think pulling the 2 pieces of land together.

Old 02-11-2001, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

They call it pokey because all they look for is top speed and acceleration. In that sense, it probably is pokey compared to the other quads they test it against. Sucks, but this is the downpoint of the AC. The Sp500's and Grizzlies and Rubicons will outrun it outright, and they still have the torque to pull with it, so the AC doesn't get a super high rating against them. The thing that satisfies the owners though isn't really defined in a magazine shootout though.

Basically, the things that the owners really like are the torque combined with things like the ride quality, suspension, stability, and overall ruggedness. The lower cost doesn't hurt either.

I think one thing that probably shows up is that AC owners on here can go into other forums and read a plethora of posts on mechanical problems, people asking about parts, and people talking about things breaking on their quads. AC's have proved to be extremely reliable. Rarely do you see anyone here talking of something screwing up.
I also think that the folks in this group are fairly classy as well. I don't really see anybody from this forum going into other forums and starting a post that brags or downgrades another brand or anything. I have seen them back up an arguement that may have been started in this forum from time to time, but I guess thats just self defense.

The Arctic Cats won't ever win any performance shootouts, but in the real world, they make a great showing in the overall category, and unless you are made of money, that is the most important.

Old 02-11-2001, 04:22 AM
Trailblazer

Well said everyone,all you have to do is point them in the direction you want and go.The AC is like a Cummins diesel, Put it in low and enjoy the ride.
Keith 98'AC 4x4 454,2000lb Warn and other additions & mods.

Old 02-11-2001, 04:41 AM
Trailblazer

Looks like the testers of the magazines are all racers. A utility quad is not supposed to jump, slide, wheelie, or race. It is to work, hunt, trail ride and explore. It should do all that plus bring you back in comfort. I only know of one AC owner and he has no complaints with his 98 model

Old 02-11-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

It can not be drag racing that decides it because they gave the win to the Rubicon in that one shootout and the Sportsman H.O and 600 Grizzly can both blow it away in a drag race.

Old 02-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

You all make good points...I alos think some of this comes down to advertising dollars...it's hard to bite the hand that feeds you at times....Another thing I like about the AC's is that they are simple machines,no computer chips and so forth...all that stuff is great when it works,but not worth a darn when it breaks down...Reliability is number one to me...I also noticed they said the only machine to break down in the shootout was the Sportsman,the clutch locked up on it....I guess Polaris must be still working on that....and I'm not bashing the Polaris either...you got to take the good with the bad...as so i'm told...just like the AC is "poky".

Old 02-12-2001, 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You are right about that particular shootout. There are three things that could have given the Rubicon the win.

#1- The Honda mystique? Do the magazines really pick the Hondas out of favortism?

#2- The totally different transmission. Nobody else has it, so that makes it unique and thus vaulting the Rubicon over the top no matter how bad it is beaten in power, traction, and suspension.

#3- The "new quad" thing. Hmmm... Dodge hasn't got a Truck of the Year award in some time. Reason being, well, they haven't had a new design in a while while Toyota, Ford, and Chevy all have. Wait till they make a new Dodge and see if it doesn't win. The new quads will always get the nod. Remember the 2000 Kodiak?

With the magazine reviews, the thing they are looking at is which quad is the most fun to ride, while also being very good at everything else. The AC is good at everything else, but so are the others, and they are probably more fun to ride as well.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Shootout