Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arcticcat wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arcticcat wont fire

I bought a 1996 arctic cat 454 and am having a blast, however..
The last time I used it I drove about 1/4 mile shut off and now have no spark. No warning. Just wont fire. I've heard coil or stator could be cause. Anyone else experience this problem. Also where is stator located. Ive found manuals online but only show magneto assembly. Not where it's located on machine. My 1st experience with atv motors and I'm a little lost.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

The magneto assembly is located by your left foot rest if you are sitting on the machine.

The other thing to check before tearing into the magneto is to double check your ignition wiring harness at the base of the steering column. There are a couple of plugs ofr the key and run/off switch that have plus onthe wiring harness at the base of the steering column. If they become pinched and you turnthe handle bars they will unplug all the way or just enough to keep the engine from running. Acts like the run/off swith is in the off position.

Easiest to access if you remove the fuel tank but you should be able to look either under the front fender OR down along the steering column to see the plugs.

If that checks out then I would be tempted to Ohm test the run/off switch to make sure it is not shorted out. These are cheaper to fix and easier to get at.

Swampy

Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Already have gas tank and front clip off Really open sit up. Checked plugs 1st. Dont think its the off run switch as motor cranks. No spark. Magneto is behind pull starter?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
The magneto assembly is located by your left foot rest if you are sitting on the machine.

The other thing to check before tearing into the magneto is to double check your ignition wiring harness at the base of the steering column. There are a couple of plugs ofr the key and run/off switch that have plus onthe wiring harness at the base of the steering column. If they become pinched and you turnthe handle bars they will unplug all the way or just enough to keep the engine from running. Acts like the run/off swith is in the off position.

Easiest to access if you remove the fuel tank but you should be able to look either under the front fender OR down along the steering column to see the plugs.

If that checks out then I would be tempted to Ohm test the run/off switch to make sure it is not shorted out. These are cheaper to fix and easier to get at.

Swampy
Mine is doing the same thing after 10 mintues,no spark,starts right back up next day with the same problem.