Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

volts

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volts

When it's cold out and i start my 2008 ac 500 the screen is flashing "volts". Off and on.
I will shut it off and re start it and dont seem to ahve aproblem.
Another question is sometimes after i get it started it wants to keep shutting off intil its realy warmed up.
Is this normal?

Am new here so be easy

Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

nope,its not normal and one problem ive been seeing is with the battery. some just replace it and never had the problem again. Dont go out and buy one cuz im not saying thats the problem but maybe check it.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

the thing of it is it is brand new..we bought it new last somer in 2009. it was a carry over. the batteries should be new yet. i think my sons 366 had the saem problem in the summertime and they replaced it free....his has the 2 year waranty and mine is only 6 mo.
so yes probl;y a bad bettery

Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

yes the 2 others i had seen were bought new in 08 (a year old) and didnt last. i myself relized this and went and bought a gel type battery last year for my 08 700. supposed to be a better battery. also, make sure to keep a trinkle charger on the battery when not in use for a long period of time. not sure about the 500 but our 700s clock actually stays on when shut off and can/will drain the battery.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

The small batteries in these ATV's do not seem to last long, especially if the are allowed to sit and drain down and not be charged up again. Letting them sit in the cold while being stored is even worse. A hold over machine may have been made the previous year.

This is how it was explained to me. Say in June 2008 you can buy a new 2009 AC. That machine sits either on the showroom floor or in storage with its battery until June 2009 and still has not sold. It then continues to sit until June 2010 at which time it sells. So the buyer gets a 2009 "hold over" which could have been sitting for as long as 2 years! Most "hold Over" machines are not this old as the dealers do not like them sitting that long either but I guess they can be.

Bottom line these little batteries do not last when allowed to sit and not be charged. So if you do get a new battery, get one of those battery maintainence chargers that trickles charges at like .2amps and has a float shutoff. Hard wire it to the battery and plug in if you machine is going to sit for longer than a few days. You will get a few more years out of these small expensive little batteries.

Swampy

Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yes it keeps the time

well.....i read everything you all had to say.
mine starts ok...even in the cold and minus.
but once and a while that volt will be flashing on and off till it's warmed up. but even after it has warmed i have had situations where it just killed by comeing to a stop.
i will wait and see this spring if it keeps doing it.
but ya your all right....i probly need a new battery.
it was a 2008 model that came out in fall 2007. i didn't buy it till spring of 2009. thanks for all the help!
i am try to put a picture up by my name....i thought i did that and still dont see it.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well, as stated before, it may not be the battery either. could be something else but this is what ive seen so far.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey budslingenfool.
Where do i go to see other peoples photos on here?

I see you guys dont have a avitar picture next to your name either.
I thought for sure we all did long time ago

Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

yeah we did have pics before they redid the website. actually, i dont know how to look. ill have to play around on here. my photos arent on here anymore either though. i dont know where they went. plus i need to upload some more,but i cant figure out how to make them smaller.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I down loaded probly twenty pics on here when i became a memebr here again.

Also to make you pics smaller is easy....i just found out this fall my self.
Bring you pics to "paint" .
Once it opens there click and hold down the left ctrl button and peress the "w"then let go. Strech & skew should pop up.
Then change the numbers...the higher the number the less it goes down....smaller the number the smaller it gets.
Then when you save ,,,change name so you can still keep the origional picture the same size.
Try it and let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: volts