Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Snow blade recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow blade recomendation

I am looking at putting a snow blade on my ATV. I would appreciate any recomendations on what to get as far as brand, ease of installation, and availability. Also, with a snow blade is it a good idea to use tire chains? If so, should both front and rear tires be chained up?

Thanks,
Darwin

Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

WARN makes about the best plows and gear IMO
Although the front mount I bought for my bike had to be modified to fit (and yes i was the correct part its just nothing lined up) and that peeved me as when you pay god money for something you expect it to fit especially with a company like WARN

Other than that issue I have always found they have made good products
I am not a KIMPEX fan

I have also never saw the need for chains

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I have 2 different plows and plow mounts. Both have pro's and con's.

I have the Arctic Cat 60 inch Utility plow with its sub-mount frame (I think its called a sub mount frame anyway). It works well for heavy snow but not so well for the powdery stuff. Frame mount is easy to remove but the parts that remain attached to the parts that attach to the frame near the foor pegs can be easily bent when not using the plow.

Second plow is made by Moose Racing it is their 60 inch Country Plow with their Rapid Mount system which attached to only the front of the ATV. It required fabricating a stonger support for the bumber but I love this plow for the light powder snow. It is angles and it moves the stuff quite well. WOrks OK onthe wet heavy stuff.

I have used both plows on an AC 400 and my TRV. I don't remember what I paid for the AC plow and mount but I paid about $650 total for the Moose Racing plow with all its mounts, and otehr accessories I got.

Hope this helps.

Swampy

Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I had the Swisher plow and it was a POS. I also had the Arctic Cat plow and LOVED it. I would get one again for sure. 60 inch is needed for sure. I had tire chains in the rear and wouldn't bother with them again.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sno Plow mounting

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
I have 2 different plows and plow mounts. Both have pro's and con's.
Let me put you on the spot. Would the sub frame mount or the front end mount be better? I'm leaning toward the Warn unit right now.

Also, is it necessary to get a blade that is wider than the ATV?

Thanks,
Darwin

Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

Originally Posted by Darwinkle
Let me put you on the spot. Would the sub frame mount or the front end mount be better? I'm leaning toward the Warn unit right now.

Also, is it necessary to get a blade that is wider than the ATV?

Thanks,
Darwin
Any sub-frame mount to the front of your AC is going to place all your plow weight on the front. Which MAY or MAY-NOT be a factor. I went with AC's plow set-up ($700) total.

My A-FRAME for my 60" AC plow attaches back along the frame at my footpegs. IMHP that dributes the weight and speads out the stress of pushing/slamming snow drifts along the entire frame.
You would be surprised how HARD snow can get. And placing all that stress on the FRONT....well stuff bends.

Also I've found that the quick-release takes about 5 min to attach/detach the A-FRAME and plow.

Oh and YES have a plow wider than your quad. If you don't your driving thru your own plow ridge and doubling your plowing time by having to retrace your path.

good luck.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by Thundercat1000
WARN makes about the best plows and gear IMO
Although the front mount I bought for my bike had to be modified to fit (and yes i was the correct part its just nothing lined up) and that peeved me as when you pay god money for something you expect it to fit especially with a company like WARN

Other than that issue I have always found they have made good products
I am not a KIMPEX fan

I have also never saw the need for chains
X2 On the Warn. Best plows going!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cupsz71
Any sub-frame mount to the front of your AC is going to place all your plow weight on the front. Which MAY or MAY-NOT be a factor. I went with AC's plow set-up ($700) total.

My A-FRAME for my 60" AC plow attaches back along the frame at my footpegs. IMHP that dributes the weight and speads out the stress of pushing/slamming snow drifts along the entire frame.
You would be surprised how HARD snow can get. And placing all that stress on the FRONT....well stuff bends.

Also I've found that the quick-release takes about 5 min to attach/detach the A-FRAME and plow.

Oh and YES have a plow wider than your quad. If you don't your driving thru your own plow ridge and doubling your plowing time by having to retrace your path.

good luck.
Ok, now for the big question! Where should I order one? I've got the Visa in hand and it is REAL hot! And, can I use my winch or should I get a "mini winch" like Warn sells?

And, OMG, I gotta have wheels like that!
Email JaxBigCat@Darwinkle.com if you don't want to say in public.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

The subframe mount does add weight tot he front end but I feel it makes it easier to plow heavy snow. I it also lowers the ground clearence to about 5 inches.

I just switched to the font end mount and I like it better as the plow lifts higher and less stuff hangs down below the frame to get caught on high spots or rocks.

For the width of the AC machines you really need a 60 inch plow. I believe the machine is around 50inches wide so when you angle a 50 or 54inch plow it is not wider than your tires. This causes you to have to make more passes to clean up the snow as Cups described.

When you angle a 60 inch plow it is just wider than the ATV and speeds things up. Not to mention the fact that your tires are not packing down snow that misses the plow.

I just recently saw a plow on an ATV that was made out of what looked like clear lexan plastic. The blade was HUGE probably close to 65 or 70 inches. But I bet it weighed way less than either of mine.

I have never used chains but I think that is due to the fact that the Mud LIte tires I use get good traction inthe snow/ice. Also plowing does wear the font end WAY more than normal so expect to have to do some work on the seals, bushings, shocks, springs and bearings earlier than normal.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought a plow system with push tubesfrom arctic cat dealer and its great it came from canada and it's plastic with metal cutting edge top and bottom works great here in maine no need for chains

Quick Reply: Snow blade recomendation