Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I??

I have an opportunity to obtain a 2007 400 AC four wheel drive with automatic and belt drive. The problem is this bike has been blown up...after it began smoking it was continually ridden rather than re-ringed and eventually it lost all compression and smashed the end of the spark plug flat!
I would really like to get this bike and fix it but I have doubts about the motor (is it a suzuki) and if the case will have to be split. The motor isn't locked up, will turn over freely, and I can do a ring and piston easy.
Anyway...any tips, pros or cons on these bikes will be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the piston "kissed" the spark plug then you may have more problems that just needing a new piston and rings. It's possible the the lower rod bearing may have gone out. Or it could just could be part of the rings/piston debris on top of the piston that damaged the plug? Only way to know for sure is to tear the head and cylinder down.If you're going that far I would lap the valves and install new valve guide seals also. I've bored a few cylinders for older Arctic Cats that customers brought in. I think the engines were Suzuki supplied. OPT