Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Trade Up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end.
I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

Tiffany & Co Jewelry Karen Millen Outlet Doudoune Moncler North Face Jackets Outlet Belstaff Outlet

Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well shucks, you made me blush! I have some writing experience and have fathered many "threads" on other forums over the years. The name "NovaTJ" is my old handle when I built off-road Jeeps. I live in Northern Virginia and my last project was a Jeep TJ aka Wrangler.

Keeping with the thread topic...The cooling fan switch I obtained from ebay was wrong so that's a big $12 mistake. Not worth returning it and who knows, someone here may need it. It's for an '03 AC 400 that is oil cooled. This sensor/switch screws into the engine block. Anyone??

LCD panel came out well...pic added.

Greg

Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

Waterpump seepage continues to bother me so ebay netted an 09 Prowler waterpump shipped for $23. Also while on ebay, found a replacement foot brake caliper with good pads for $19. Have to see if I can weld aluminum as the right rear knuckle upper caliper mounting flange is broken where the bolt goes into the caliper. Probably why the foot brake caliper was removed and the line left dangling. Foot brake master cylinder checked out ok and still had some fluid in it. First real test of the bike is tomorrow where I tested my first Arctic Cat, the Bearcat, about three weeks ago. I have high expectations!

Greg

Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

Fantastic! Agile and powerful! A little hard starting with no choke in 39 degree weather, but once going it was all good. Put 10 miles on it through a combination woods and hills with some short flat outs. Hit 50 mph on the relatively short 50 yard straight paths and it had more in it if it wasn't for the leaves covering the trail. Love the independent suspension! The atv came with almost new ITP Badlands radial tires and they did well in the mud, but wish the previous owner had stepped up to Mud Lite XTR's. Maybe find a person wanting to trade.

All for this installment,

Greg

Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer

November 28th update:Not much to report. The rebuild of the rear master cylinder was a failure...seems a poor design causes them to lock-up in the on position. I'm replacing the rear master cylinder with one from a Honda street bike that someone on this forum said would work with slight modifications. I'll update when that is completed. Failed to weld aluminum so still need a right rear knuckle to mount the replacement caliper on.

The choke issue:mine has the electric solenoid type of choke aka enrichment valve and it was missing the needle. Obtained a new enrichment valve from a Chinese 110 atv new for $7 and stole the needle out of it. Does work! Remember that as Arctic Cat wants $145 for a new enrichment valve.

Issue with the cooling fan sensor:none of the other sensors I bought on ebay would work so broke down and actually had to order one from Arctic Cat Parts Warehouse for $28, $3 for it's o ring, and $15 for shipping.

Like I said, not much to report...

Greg

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Latest update:Yesterday, went for a ride near Richmond. She did well especially now that I have the new coolant sensor to control the fan.
Put 16 miles on it with no issues other than me having trouble getting over a 16 inch diameter tree downed across the path. Didn't hit it right and wound up high-centered and had to be helped over...embarrassing!

Today I adapted (fabricated) a replacement rear foot brake master cylinder that I got from ebay for $26. It's off a bike and the brand is Nissan. I think it originally came off a 2005 YFZ 450R and came with a banjo bolt with two washers for the line and a reservoir. I had to make the rod that goes from the pedal to the cylinder and welded three nuts together to form a threaded barrel nut to support the joining of the two. One mounting bolt is ok for experimenting, but will have to add more metal and a nut for the upper bolt. My welded together two 8mm bolts is temporary and will try to find a hardened stud while at work. Hooked up to the caliper and bled out...it works! Now to replace the broken knuckle for the caliper to attach to... Ebay to the rescue once again as I scored a new right rear knuckle for $40. I'll have to transfer the bushings and bearing from the old one, but that won't be a big deal.

That's it for this weekend, should have the knuckle this week so more details next weekend.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Trade Up?-acmodifiedrearcyl.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

The new knuckle came in yesterday afternoon while I was at work, so when I got home about 4 pm, I started in on disassembly of the old knuckle. The new knuckle was really not designed for my 04 500 FIS, but rather an 07 650. I did a bunch of measurements and determined that it should work. The old bushings came out of the knuckle by hitting them with a hammer and 3/8" extension and once lubed up installed in the new knuckle. To transfer the axle bearing, you first have to remove the snap ring with a small screwdriver then drive the old bearing out with a 1 1/2" socket and an even larger hammer. It was checked, cleaned and greased up and then installed into the new knuckle. I used my 6" jaw heavy duty vise to squeeze the bearing into the new knuckle, then installed the snap ring. The rear axle bearing had it's own seals so none were needed. Reinstalled on my bike and the calipers bolted on and finally, I can say the rear brake issue is done.

Next is to finish up the carb choke problem and begin the snow plow installation. Should be fun!

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Trade Up?-kgrhqjhjc4fc2jq6uybbqu5e8qorw-60_35.jpg  

Last edited by NovaTJ; 12-09-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

This should be my last update till sometime next year. The rear brake mod was completed last week and this weekend, I was able to test it out. It works ok, but I wouldn't want to only have the one rear brake. When used in conjunction with the hand brake, the combo of the two works very well. The foot brake will hold quite well on it's own for hill holding.

I completed the carb choke repair and it works very well with no flooding and no further adjustments were needed. If you recall, the previous owner had removed the electric choke aka enrichment valve, and had lost the needle. The purchase of a Chinese 110-135 atv valve assembly for under $20, which did not work on this carb, did net a needle and by mating the old Arctic Cat valve and the new Chinese needle is a good fix.

I designed my own snow plow about two years ago for use with my Honda Foreman 450 ES. When the Honda was sold, the new owner did not want the plow so the install of the mounting system was completed by me yesterday, and works well. See image below.

Wishing all of you the best for the Holiday Season.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Trade Up?-acplow1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following your story line from beginning to end. Well I read it all today as I'm rather new here. Great amount of info shared. Nice to see you got it going well.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the nice comments! I was beginning to think I was rambling on for my own amusement!

It's been an atv kind of year for me...one I'll remember for some time. Buying a wrecked Suzuki Eiger and rebuilding the frame and replacing all the plastics, then after all the work was completed, getting an offer for it that I couldn't resist. Buying the Bearcat that was left parked under a tree for twelve years, getting it back into shape and trail worthy only to get another offer to trade up....and you know the story from there! I can only wonder what next year holds for me.

Best wishes for a great holiday everyone!

Greg