Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

frame damage on artic cat 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame damage on artic cat 400

hi Im looking for someone to answer some questions on the damage done to my quad.
Went on a ride with a buddy and on the way back to the truck I hit a stomp(that I didn't see at all) with the left front tire on my 06 arctic cat 400. I hit it really hard, hard enough to buck me off and the back end to swing over. right away I noticed the rim had a decent gouge and bend in it. Then when I began to ride again I noticed the bars were tweaked and the machine puled right really bad. I got off and checked and I seen that the front left tire was on an angle with the top towards the machine. at this point I wasn't far from the truck so I rode there and started to do a more extensive inspection. a arms don't look bent, balljoints look intact, tie rods look fine and so does the steering. I looked underneath it and noticed some paint peal behind where the bottom a arm mounts to the frame. I think the frame is tweaked. the front left tire seems to be pushed back like an ich

so my question is, is a tweaked frame straightenable and how can I do that? and what other damage might there be?

Please Help!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Bent rim, I would only fix if it leaked air. Either put a tube in it ($25) or find a used stock rim (usually run about $40 plus shipping) OR get 4 new ones which can get pretty expensive.

If the bike were mine I would start by putting it on blocks on a flat surface like a flat cement slab and taking all 4 tires off. Then measure off the rear suspension on one side to a location on the front suspension on the same side. Check the measurement in the same place on other side. Helps to see if one side is pushed back or not. Also use a straight edge like a carpenters square and see how square the wheel hub is to the floor. It does not need to be square with the floor because the shock will extend the suspension down BUT it should be the same on both sides on the front.

My guess is the shock, shock mounts or a steering component is bent.

Hope that helps.
Swampy

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive got the tires off it and gave it a more extensive lookover. from what I can see the a arm mounts on the left side are bent abit. the steering linkage might be bent a bit but it didn't seem too bad. but the main problem is the bottom left side frame tube about 2 inches behind bottom a arm mount is kinked pretty bad. I took some rough measurements and left side is pushed back about 2.5-3 inches.

Ive done some thinking and I think I might be able to pull it out some. I could probly get it back about 1-2 inches which is better than it is now. ive also done some calling around and a local body shop has a frame straightener and they might be able to do it (not Sure yet)

Any ideas on the best way to go about fixing this?
thnks for the help

Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say you can have a frame shop try to pull it back out and reinforce it, or worse case you might have to cut a section out, pull it back to where it belongs and weld a new section in.
I know guys who have chained them to something solid and pulled with a come along, the frame really are not the strong. Problem is once the tube is kinked it it can't be fixed. Better to replace that section and have a good welder weld a new piece in

Old 10-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think im going to go with the frame shop to get it pulled straight. If it was less severe I might have tried with a come along. I think your right about getting that section cut out and a new piece re welded in.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a frame striaghted at a body shop?

Old 10-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Body shop said they would attempt to straighten my frame. Does any one know where I could find good diagrams of the frame with measurments? Also good place to purchase a new frame in case this ones screwed. Or does the repair manual have the frame specs in it?
Any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt your will find frame measurements or specs. A new factory frame will bring tears to your eyes if you can even get one. A atv salvage is prob the only other option to repair that wont cost as much as the atv is worth.

Try taking measurements from the good side and also measure diagonally in a x under the bike to get it back to square. If your lucky it will have the same holes weldments etc on both sides. If not do your best, as long as the suspension don't bind and it steers ok you will be fine. Its a atv not a Ferrari, your not going to notice any handling or tire wear problems imho.
Btw the grizzly I have was sunk in a swamp, left to freeze in (in Canada) and then ripped out with a bulldozer winch. So I know a bit about tweeked suspension and frame parts, and it rides fine now.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

new frames are about a grand. but im not even sure if they are available or not. I believe my suspension parts and most of my steering parts are fine. I have the atv striped down now and theres some stuff that's bent that I didn't see before but a lot of it is stuff that doesn't matter. ie rad mounts, rack mounts, bumper mounts my main concern is the main frame but the body shop said they will attempt to get it straight. I believe if it comes out enough I should be fine, even if my handling is affected a bit it doesn't mater to me. i wont be going as fast now any ways. Thanks for you input man

Old 10-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

The big downside to the frame swap is the countless hours swapping everything over.
I'd let the frame shop give it a go and see what you think.
I don't ride real fast either and just wanted a cheap atv, which is why I repaired my basket case. But it handles fine.
If you use a atv for real atv driving the trail is rough enough the weight is never really ever evenly distributed. As long as it looks close, and if they do cars it will be, and the suspension can go up and down the same on each side, and you adjust your steering toe back to spec is will drive fine

Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

yah I think as long as its close I should be fine. As long as its drivable even if handling is affected I can deal wth it as it comes. If I have to find a frame and do a frame swap that would be a all winter project most likely but Id be good for next season. It depends how straight it comes tho

Quick Reply: frame damage on artic cat 400