Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2001 Cat 250 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cat 250 4x4

short info, previous owner took this is for work, got it back, rode it 50 feet and it died, he shoved it into the lake and there it sat for 3 days.

Ok now that is said, all fluids changed, carb has been dipped and rebuilt, new fuel lines and in line filter, new battery,
I got it running but it starts hard, choke will not work, to keep it running the throttle is set higher than the idle screw so its not contacting at all, new plug, this will ride good only when its warm out, 60 degree or below it will not seem to start and stay running.

its acting like to much air, put hand over the intake port and it starts alot easier, still hard start but way easier. when it is running, and warmed up, it runs great,

i will do a compression test in a couple min and post results

any hints on what i should check or do?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

I just reset the valves, intake is .005, exhaust is .010 as the spec tag says

Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Did you ever get the choke to work properly again?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default not yet,

a friend found the cable was loose from the fitting, and it seems like i did not get it to seat right,, i will be removing and installing it again, with hopes of finding a way to bond the cable back to the casing that screws in. I have a feeling i will be replacing the hole cable..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default future test,

in the next couple days i will be using an unlit torch to test the boots and gaskets to see if i get a change in running, i think its getting to much air, holding hand over the air intake it will start every time no matter the temp.

I will post more when i know more..

Old 04-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Choke is not working if its starting with your hand over intake.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

found the problem with the hard start. choke pin was not seated, so it was on at all times, and the jet infront of the main jet had some mud in it, this did sit in a lake, or river for 3 days. runs perfect now except a charging problem, im headed out now to narrow it down and find what the exact cause is,, im betting its as simple as dirty connection somewhere.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I the only first who read the original post here? The owned SHOVED IT INTO THE LAKE. What kind of idiot thinks this is going to help? I assume he was pissed because he took it to get work done and obviously wherever he took it, they had no idea what they were doing. Purposely doing damage to the machine yourself, yeah that's a valid solution. If this is how he deals with every problem in his life, I sincerely hope he isn't married.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Am I the only first who read the original post here? The owned SHOVED IT INTO THE LAKE.
Saw that too... Sounds like he needs some anger management classes..

Old 05-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

im kind of glad he did get mad at it, it cost me 150, and now i already have it running really good, I think he had valves set, because when i checked them, they were over tight and the valve was open just slightly on compression stroke. but anyway, did some cleaning and i believe my VR is shot, i have 22v comming out of the stator and flat 12 out of the VR no matter what the rev is. im looking it up now and going to order.

Quick Reply: 2001 Cat 250 4x4