Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic 90 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic 90 starting issues

I have a 2012 Arctic cat 90 utility . Have had unit in shop last year and again this year. for hard starting issues. Last year they cleaned carb, got it back and ran ok for awhile then quit starting. This year they rebuilt carb.[300.00]. Told me it also needed new electric choke. 90.00 plus labor. I took it home and ordered choke. Installed choke and still have issues. Have to run throttle at 1/4 to warm engine. once warmed up atv runs ok. Does anyone have any ideas? This unit only has about 10 hours on it in three years. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by chinkapin; 06-14-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would find your self a service manual. you got hosed you got hosed from that dealer you should not have been charged unless problem was fixed choke should have been replaced before cleaning... Have you checked to make sure choke is operating? If choke is operating bring the carb back to factory setting. I would also check your valves to make sure their within spec. Valves would give hard start but don't thing they would affect poor running until warm.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for responding to my post. The atv had been sitting for a couple of months due to kid behavior. Put it in shop and they said it needs a new carb or a rebuild, I opted for rebuild. The last time it ran before going to shop the choke worked. They told me when I picked it up That the choke was no good. Rather than spend more money with them I opted to order and install a new choke. I just checked the resistance on the old choke and got a reading of 5.6 ohms. The atv runs fine after I hold the throttle in for it to warm up. It will not fire unless the throttle is pushed. By the way I kinda figured I got ripped off but the unit still in new condition I decided to try the dealer first. I'm not real familiar with carb adjustments. Thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't rely on meter readings. Visually make sure its working. It may need to be adjusted slightly or its binding when closing the flap. Or you need to adjust your carb so its getting a bit more fuel.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for responding. I haven't had time to get back to the four wheeler. When I get back to working on it I will give an updated post.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I currently bought 2 artic cat dvx 90's one 2014 and a 2015, both were doing the exact same thing.. so i started looking around for something unplugged near carb and found on both units that the fiber spacer plate between carb and intake tube was upside down and was sucking air so I took it apart two bolts and flipped it over and both run perfectly fine. Hope this helps. I also notified the dealer and to their surprise 7 more of them were assembled the same way

Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Trailblazer

We have an older version of the same 90. I listed it as a 07 in my signature because that was what I was told. Actually found out it is an 04 model. They are made by Kymco and usually very reliable. Sorry to hear of your problems. On machines this size the jets and such are really small. Doesn't take much to effect performance. When you get it straightened out I would suggest using pure gas with no alcohol. A touch of Stabil too! We went through a hard start period not long after a valve adjustment and tune up. I began to wonder what I did wrong. Finally after much aggravation I replaced the newly installed NGK sparkplug and sure enough that was our problem. Plugs are cheap and very well may not be your problem but replace it anyways. The carbs are not that hard to work on, I pulled ours and found nothing wrong. Valve adjustments are easy too even though it is a kind of tight work area in that little port. Good luck.