Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2015 Arctic Cat XR 550 XT or 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Arctic Cat XR 550 XT or 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570

Hi all,
I wasn't sure which subforum to put this thread in, so I picked Arctic Cat. If there's a more appropriate place, mods please feel free to move!!

Here's my situation. I am about to pull the trigger on a new quad, and have narrowed it down to the 2015 AC XR 550 XT and the 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570. Both with power steering. I can get a decent deal on each, and even though the Cat is a year older, they are both NEW, SHOW-ROOM quads.

Through my readings (I can't buy toilet paper without a week of research), I have come across a couple of issues that I'd like to ask you experts about. Regarding the AC, I have read about low horsepower ratings and weak differentials. For the Polaris, I have read about overheating issues, and belt issues.

My main needs are comfort and reliability. I currently have a 2002 Honda 350, and I do not hesitate to travel anywhere solo on that thing, as I know it isn't going to break down on me. That's 15 years of some tough driving.

I mainly ride rough trails where 4wd is necessary, but diff lock would be nice, but not necessary - but I do want diff lock for the rare time we hit tht bogs. As for HP, again, nice to have but not the biggest concern, as long as it's decently quick when I open up on the smooth terrain. I quite often will encounter water to the tops of the tires. Is that an issue for these belt-driven machines.

Some of you may be wondering why I just don't go with another Honda? Simple - they're crazy expensive now, and for me to get power steering and diff lock in a Honda is just financially out of my ballpark. I do not want to buy used, as I've been burned before by buying other people's problems.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

GC

Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i have 2 cats and have had 0 issues with them. I would definitely go cat again. Im not a huge Polaris fan. iv seen way to many issues with them out on the trail with overheating, belt covers leaking. Just planing poor planning on Polaris part. I have not seen one yet where the storage boxes are broken. With those storage boxes it give you no real place to push if needed. The people that have them like their ride but would not buy another due to issues.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I appreciate the response. If you don't mind me asking which Cats do you have? I really like this XR 550 XT, but can't find any postings from people who actually own them. And yeah, I get what you're saying about the Polaris ride. I don't think I've ever ridden a quad that rides as smooth as any Polaris I've been on. That comes into play as well, as this bike will mostly be driven by my wife. I'll mostly still be breaking my back on my SRA Honda 350!!

GC

Old 08-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

We ride 2 500 cats... another club member has the 550 and same thing. No issues...

Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

What year are your cats?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Polaris does have a little more power, that's the main difference between the 2. Most cvt machines are good in water much deeper than tire deep, the air intake is usually at close to the same height as the bottom of the seat. On the Sportsman 570, the battery is mounted in a weird spot under the front end a bit lower the most others that mount it under the seat. I'm not sure how that affects it going through water crossings but I wouldn't want to submerge it. I bet the 700 wouldn't cost much more than the 550, that would give you quite a bit more power. Its too bad Yamaha discontinued the Grizzly 550 model, I think that would be a better choice than either of them. Another to look at would be a Can-Am Outlander 450L DPS model. It should be about the same price as either of these and the 450cc single puts out about the same power as the Grizzly 550 engine did and you get steel racks on the L model as well. A coworker of mine has one and really likes it and is quite impressed with the power and he's a pretty big guy too, about 6'2" and 280 lbs. His uncle has a Honda Rancher 420 and the Outlander 450L just flat out blows it away on power.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

I have no doubt that they all blow the Honda away on power!! My 2002 350 Honda is the slowest among our group, but I can honestly say that mine is the ONLY quad that has never had an issue. But I'm 54 now and need a little more comfort. Thanks for all the info. Also, the Kodiak 700 has now entered the picture. If I can get the right price for one with power steering I will be considering that too !!

GC

Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Like zrock, have 2 older Cats, they are bullet proof. Owned one Polaris Sportsman, never again, it nearly bankrupted me, plus tried to burn me to death, haha. Friends, however seem to have better luck than me with their Polaris quads. Polaris has a great ride, great power and handling, slightly better than my 2002 AC, but I suspect the XT's have similar performance to the 570. Check which one has more clearance. My 2002 AC 400, even with 25" tires has excellent clearance, I can blast over big rocks and stumps, where my friends have to tiptoe around on other makes. Can't say how the new Cats are for carrying weight, but my 2001 AC 500 will carry 2 250 lb guys and never bottom out! My mechanic works on all makes, claims Polaris are the worst, Yamahas the best, but AC's and Hondas next best.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your response. The one brand that is not popular among my friends is Arctic Cat. Not that they are presumed to be bad (or good for that matter). Just that most either own Honda's, or moved from Honda's to CanAm. Everyone else practically owns Yamaha or Polaris, so though I am familiar with the Honda, CanAm, Polaris, and Yamaha, I have no way to judge performance or reliability of an Arctic Cat quad. I have owned Arctic Cat snowmobiles in the past, but can't base a quad buying decision on a snowmobile!

GC

Old 08-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS far as power goes the 570 might be rated with a higher HP but as we all know it's all about getting it to the ground. Pre bigger tires and clutch kit, my 13 550 Core was dead even with my buddies 14 570 running flat out on a logging road. AS far as comfort EPS makes a difference but you can keep it on both machines, I'm not a fan. Stock ground clearance on the AC is better as is the rider to handlebar orientation. If I was buying a machine for storage....well I'd just be attaching a Bostich tool box like did.

Quick Reply: 2015 Arctic Cat XR 550 XT or 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570