Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

02 Cat 500 4x4 Stalls and dies without choke on

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Cat 500 4x4 Stalls and dies without choke on

Hello,

I am perplexed with a problem with my 02 500 auto. It has a Keihin CVK carb.

I tore the carb down because I could not get it to start without covering the air intake with my hand when it is cold out (40F).

So, I put in a carb kit and cleaned everything. Tried stock jet sizes and also upgraded main jet size.

I can get it to start fine with 1/2 choke, idles great but as soon as I shut off the choke it diesels and dies and won't restart without choke. I can get it to idle fine with about 1/8 choke, but as soon as I shut the choke off it dies.

I have pulled the carb 4 times, cleaned, soaked, ran wire through the pilot port, adjusted the fuel screw from 1-4.5 turns out, new plug, new air filter, new fuel line, shot carb cleaner on intake/head boot but nothing seems to work. I also pulled Fuel cap, checked gas tank vent. Very frustrating.

One thing I have noticed is that if I shut the fuel off and run it, just before the bowl empties it will idle good for about 15sec without choke and then dies.

Tells me I am getting too much air somewhere but I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Any insight?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2016, 06:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When you cut the fuel valve off and run what's left in the carb and at the end it starts to run better,this is usually a sign that it's been running too rich. I'd recheck the float level specs and also to see if the jets in the rebuilt kit are the same as the old ones.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the carb again and put all old jets, needle and needle valve back in. Kept the newer fuel screw in. Set that at 2.5 turns out.

Floats seems to be set right. What is the float height tolerance? I checked it at 17mm

Ran just a tiny bit better but still stalls on no choke, just takes longer before it dies. I do have the tube from air cleaner to carb throat removed. Lot of vacuum sucking back into the air cleaner port. Is that good? With tube removed will that affect idle ?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Air box and filter need to be hooked up or yes they will run lean and need the choke a lot of times to try to even run right.Hook it all back up right and see how it does. This is a common thing that a lot of people do when they rebuild carbs,don't hook everything back up and then they run into problems..

Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned it was a CV style carb...does it use a diaphragm to move the slide? If so, you may want to check the condition of the rubber...hold it to a light and check for tiny pin holes...

Just a thought...