Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 Artic Cat 500 leaking gas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

"Base setting" on most cv carbs is 2-2.5 turns out. You fine tune the pilot(fuel screw) when the engine is warm. Best to have a carb adjuster or small hands and a small screw driver to dial in the smoothest idle. Back tracking though,if the new carb is doing the same as the old one,fuel supply is good,float level is right but still dripping,have you adjusted the valves? Could be part of the problem if it's not pulling in fuel correctly. Plus if you've had to have the choke open to compensate you might have the fuel screw shut down too far or the idle set too low.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Try draining some fuel through a coffee filter and look for crud. i have had the same issue before and it turned out their was some crud stuck in the fuel shut off and hoses. It would get into the carb and as soon as i would pull the bowl off the carb the crud would drain out. Took me a while to figure out what was happening

Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the fuel through the coffe filter and it's clear. The fuel filter is new and no debris in it either. The pilot idle mixture screw was open 3.25 complete turns or 6.5 180* turns. I'm thinking after talking with old Polaris tech and then keihin technical support it is the valve timing which is scary to me. How tough is that to check?

Last edited by New2Cats; 12-21-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 12-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Should be a timing plug check plug on the stator cover that can show tdc and the cam sprocket should have a mark that lines up with the head. Not sure on how it looks,but the manual is the best thing you can have. Can help on that plus other problems.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....al-repair-2002