Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Pictures of my new to me AC 700 Diesel

Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my new to me AC 700 Diesel

Ok, just got it last night. Today, froze my Azz off switching the 30 Mudzillas from my AC 500 to her. Wind blowing, +10F all day. Good news, the 30's fit nicely without a lift! Next good news, she starts great, at least down to 0F, and going from 25" to 30" tires made no difference to acceleration, which is leisurely. The biggest thing that it needs is some sound deadening. After that, a turbo, of course. So far, I like it!

Attached Thumbnails Pictures of my new to me AC 700 Diesel-p1010159.jpg   Pictures of my new to me AC 700 Diesel-p1010162.jpg   Pictures of my new to me AC 700 Diesel-p1010160.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You just need a blade and you will have yourself a "bulldozer" Quite a machine. Does the diesel get you any speed or is it all grunt?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the first one I've seen. Diesel makes perfect sense to me in a utility ATV that works more than plays. The Kubota utility vehicles we used at the park where I used to work were diesel and 4wd with a dump box. They were rugged machines.

It ought to be a bit more efficient than a 700 gas machine, and it ought to have more torque.

I remember when dirt bikes went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke engines. The 4 strokes usually required more cc displacement to keep up with the two strokes. We chuckled at the first ones, but they had more torque and more efficiency. Kinda sounds like the same story with the diesel.

Is there a model specific turbo kit for this engine?

David

Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

From what i have read the diesel is all grunt and no speed. Also very easy to get more out of them with a few tweaks.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the diesel will get you up to about 45 mph, that's still plenty fast enough for trail riding and work duties. Apparently cold weather starting is not a problem either, that would be one concern I would have with a diesel quad. Looks good.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
The biggest thing that it needs is some sound deadening. After that, a turbo, of course. So far, I like it!
Congrats on the new stump puller.. Diesels are noisy,but hopefully yours is not as noisy as the old 455 diesels that Polaris had. Flywheel the size of a car wheel cover. Sounded like they were ready to throw a rod at any time.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks great! Should make chores more of a breeze.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

It's been cold as hell, but I took it out on the highway to see what she'd do. So no windshield, no hand warmers yet It runs 30 mph/ corrected for the 30" tires should be around 36 mph. Fast enough at 0F to freeze me solid, I didn't really dress warm enough. Thursday I'm taking her in to my mechanic to turn up the fuel and advance the timing. I believe there are higher rpm governor springs available, to go from 3600 rims to 4400. Certainly feels like it comes up onto the governor. Gotta get some black smoke. Absolutely no exhaust smell or smoke, can't have that. I'm getting a 2" lift too. It handles really nice, steers as nice as my AC 400 and I really like the long wheelbase. I have a 2 up seat to put on also. Loud did I say? At Idle, it's ok, but cruising along, loud! Might have to do the turbo just to quiet the beast down. Farm tractor loud, I guess, my dad had a Yanmar tractor that was louder. I'm not worried about speed, talked to a guy in Australia that got 50 mph out of his once turned up.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

dbj216, there have been several different turbos used, Mitsubishi TD02 or IHI RHF3 or a VZ 21 . i've been warned to stay away from the Chinese knock offs on eBay.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A turbo is just a turbo without the application engineering. Mounts, inlet and exhaust piping, waste gate (if), head gasket and studs, fuel management, turbo lag and so forth. Maybe there is a kit with all this stuff included that is proven to work.

I enjoy diesel pickups. I know several folks who have purchased tuners and bigger turbos only to blow the head gasket. Once they get the engine sorted, then the transmission lets go. I think diesel performance mods are harder to do than a spark engine. It was easier for me to buy cams, port and polish the head, mill the head, jet the carburetors, reduce the intake and exhaust restrictions. These techniques would take a 120hp Alfa Romeo to 130hp, or so it seemed. It was fun to do.

Anyway, you will have great fun getting more torque out of your single cylinder (assuming) diesel. Remember the two stroke diesels of years and years ago? Maybe an ideal design for an ATV.

Nice to hear you like the longer wheelbase of your 2up Cat. I purchased a 2up machine just for that reason (as well as take the wife now and then.) Heavier, not as maneuverable, but more stable.

David

Search this Thread