Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

02 Grizzly- two day impressions

Old 07-14-2001, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,
Thanks for what seems like an honest review. Change is difficult and we'll always compare to what we're used to but you seemed unbiased to me and I appreciate it. I'm on a 2000 Kodiak and am drooling over the new Grizz but it seems much bigger in all dimensions which concerns me cause it's so tight riding up here. I don't know the seat height of your previous steed but does the Grizzley feel tippy? The combination of narrow width and tall saddle has me concerned. Also the bars look high and I was wondering what that felt like. If you trailer or truck your quad you'll come to appreciate the park feature on the shift lever. There's really no need for a brake with park and when parked with 4x4 engaged the machine won't budge! Thanks again, rest up and keep writing!

Old 07-14-2001, 09:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I like the park thing, but I think it needs a parking brake too. The parking brake can be set with your hands still on the bars in a tight spot. It also engages at the spot you set it, where the quad lurches a bit before the park sets in. Same as a car when you put it in park. It still rolls back about an inch or so on a hill.

As far as being tippy, I put it on a sidehill and got off and rocked it to see how much give it had. Its definitely tippier than my AC. The AC is lifted and has 27" tires on it, but its probably the most stable thing I can think of. The Grizz would be better with a set of 12" wide tires on ITP rims on the back. I don't see it being a problem, but I'll have to re-establish my limitations again. I was pretty much dialed in on the AC as to what I could and could not traverse.

As far as size, the Griz seems a lot bigger than the Kodiak. The front is wide (plastic) like looking over the hood of a 77 Dodge or Chevy as opposed to looking over the sloped hoods they have now. Just like the old griz, there is a lot of space under the front. Even with the radiator. Front seems light, but then again I'm coming off a bike with 100lbs. more sitting on the front than the rear. A winch will help that though.

Right now the main thing that pisses me off about this thing is that I can't do anything with it till the first of next week. This night shift $hit sucks raw.

Old 07-14-2001, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Did you know Yamaha is running that $69.00 winch deal till December? That's how I got mine last year. My last quad was a 98 Big Bear with a HL lift and 27" Blackwaters. I hated that tippy feeling so I removed the lift kit but it was still tippy. The Kodiak seems much more stable and this time I kept with stock diameter tires but more agressive and am very pleased with the results. Running 10" tires up front may have even improved my stability. Cheer up dude, you've got that long weekend to look forward too. Be careful re-establishing those limitations we want more reviews.

Old 07-15-2001, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I got the winch with the bike. It won't be in for a few weeks though. They are shipping it to me. There is no way I'm driving all the way back over there just to pick it up. I took it out for a little while today. It does indeed feel more like a straight swingarm in uneven terrain. I rode in a few uneven places today, and the Arctic Cat undoubtedly is better at keeping all four tires on the ground. I have one small spot with a dip on one side and a big rock on the other. The AC is fairly tippy in this spot. I took the Griz over it, and it was a bit scary, but its a safe place to test it, and I didn't have any problem really. I had to take it a bit slow, but went on through ok. Tried out the diff-lock again, and that thing is amazing. I would take it up a few dirt hills in 4wd and get to the point that it spun, then I'd lock it and it would just pull right on up. I'm going to like this I think.

Old 07-16-2001, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I found a little water today. Only as high as the floorboards though. It wasn't any different than taking the AC through it. As far as deep water, I'll wait to find out that after the thing is broken in. I did get on it for just a second going down the side of the hiway. Just for a second, but it has some pretty good acceleration. Side by side with my cousin's 454 is going to be interesting. He will be at my mercy now. We were always neck and neck with the 500 and the 454. I also found a short steep hill to climb up. I've taken this little spot on the AC a few times, and its nothing real bad, but it does have a hard rut on one side, and gets a little scary. The AC was scary because even the big Claws would spin going up. The griz was scary cause I'm not used to it, and you can't see whats going on up front because the plastic is so wide. I can't tell totally, but I'm pretty sure the yamaha limited slip is inferior to the AC differential. I could have made it up in 4wd, but I wanted to play so I locked it and had no problems other than being scared of that rut the rear tire was in.

I did notice another thing that I like about the AC. The griz's front plastic goes out all the way, where the AC goes to the edge of the racks and then the plastic flaps (the black part) extends out. If you catch the black plastic on something, it will flex, and if it tears, you could replace it. If you rub the grizz, its just the same body plastic for the whole front, and if it tears, then your front panel is torn. Basically, it doesnt have an attached flap, just a one piece panel for the front. This will make me look a little harder before squeezing through stuff.

One more night of hell, and I'll be free to ride for 4 days. Its about time dammit!

Old 07-16-2001, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Hurry up and get that thing broke in will ya, I want to hear what you REALLY think! heh heh heh. Seriously though, keep 'em coming, love the reviews!

Good luck with the next few hours of work, it's almost over, then it's RIDE'N TIME!

Mike

Old 07-16-2001, 04:35 AM
Range Rover

Andy
Just wondering are you gona install the claws on the grizz. Would love to see a pic of that beast with some claws on it.

Old 07-16-2001, 06:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Probably will. It depends on what happens with the AC. When I get the boot replaced, its up for sale. Who knows how long it will take to move it. If somebody wanted it with the wheels and tires and was willing to pay the extra price, then they are gone. If they don't care for that, I'll take the lift off (won't fit with stock rims and tires, I already tried, and the front tires are too wide) and keep the claws. If I keep them, I don't have to buy any new tires, just new rims. I'll get ITP chrome again. I like the offset, and it would make the Griz much more stable. I guess I could give the old wheels to my cousin or sell them to him cheap or something. Its probably going to be a while though. Damn CV boot. Its a thorn in my *** right now.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't even believe this. Its going to rain the next two days. I've worked every damn night since I got this new bike, and now when I get off, its going to freakin rain! Talk about pissing on the parade. Tell me it gets better.

Old 07-16-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Andy for keeping us posted. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get to put some serious miles on that new toy soon. We're looking forward to hearing all about it. I really appreciate the way you tell it like it is - without all the "my-brand-is-best" garbage. Please keep it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Grizzly- two day impressions