New to riding and need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to riding and need some advice.

Hello Im new to this forum so please forgive me if I am not posting in the right place. My name is Tim I'm 6 foot 240lbs and I live on the Oregon coast. Many of my friends here ride ATV's on the weekends so recently I have been wanting to buy a ATV so I can go riding with them and not always be the one guy in a truck. I have rode ATV's before but never owned one (mostly if a friend had an extra) Most of my friends ride banshees but I am not really in the market for a two stroke although I love the sound of them all the work that comes with them concerns me. I have been looking at Raptor 700's YFZ 450's and TRX 450's but don't really know what one I should choose. Im open to suggestions of other ATV's as well. I just need a gentle nudge in the right direction of which one I should look more into. I understand maintenance will need to be done from time to time but I would like a bike that is reliable as well as quick and able to keep up with and or pass a banshee. I am looking to buy used so most bikes may already be slightly upgraded. My general riding will be mostly open dunes with some trail activity mixed in I do not intend to do any jumps or tricks just yet either. Anything helps I really appreciate it.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Of the ones you mentioned the Raptor 700 is probably the easiest to maintain. Also a good size for someone 6'+.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Of the ones you mentioned the Raptor 700 is probably the easiest to maintain. Also a good size for someone 6'+.
I agree completely. You can never have enough power in the dunes, and the 700 has cushy all day ride suspension and ergonomics.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of my friends here ride ATV's on the weekends so recently I have been wanting to buy a ATV so I can go riding with them and not always be the one guy in a truck.
Must be tame trails if a truck can follow along.

There is a lot of Youtubes drags showing a Raptor beating a Banshee or at most its very close. Here is one of many. Looks to me the guy with the most nerve wins.

The guy with the 700 4stroke single cylinder sure will be doing less wrenching then the guy with the high strung 2 stroke 350 twin cylinder, that's for sure.

Oregon has sand dunes?

Old 05-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, please don't mistake lack of nerve for wheel spin! Launching a Banshee can be, um, interesting. Lack of traction was the only way a stock Raptor is even close to the piped shee there. Raptors do make great dune quads and are as close to perfect for keeping up with a 2 stroke in the dunes without having one of your own.