Can a Yamaha blaster handle going over big rocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a Yamaha blaster handle going over big rocks?

Hi I'm thinking about geting a Yamaha blaster for trail riding but I was wondering if it could handle trail riding in Colorado. I was wondering if it can handle going over the big rocks and riding in the right trails. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like any machine, that would depend on the trail. If you are talking mild to moderate trails, no big rocks, roots, etc., it is a capable machine. If you are a larger rider, you will feel very cramped. Keep in mind that it is a 2-stroke and is more sensitive to changes in altitude so be ready to re-jet.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A Yamaha Blaster is not a quad I see out on standard OHV trails in CO. Solid axle will probably beat you up and as such, most quads on standard CO OHV trails are IRS.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really depends on the trails. I have ridden plenty of stuff with sport quads people said I couldn't. With a tier 1 swing arm skid, larger tires, and some skill sport quads are pretty capable. On the other hand, you will be miserable rock crawling and a 2 stroke needs a little forethought and planning if you will see large elevation and temperature changes.

What are your buddies riding? You shouldn't be out alone, and having a machine with similar capabilities keeps it fun for everyone involved.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Really depends on the trails. I have ridden plenty of stuff with sport quads people said I couldn't. With a tier 1 swing arm skid, larger tires, and some skill sport quads are pretty capable. On the other hand, you will be miserable rock crawling and a 2 stroke needs a little forethought and planning if you will see large elevation and temperature changes.

What are your buddies riding? You shouldn't be out alone, and having a machine with similar capabilities keeps it fun for everyone involved.

Can't disagree with what you've said. I actually have my 700 set-up so it is more fun to rip on the trails versus only for slow travel/rock crawling type traversing. Front springs are set 1 from the softest, rear springs 1 from the hardest setting. 1" spacers all around. Bighorn OGs that are 1" wider fronts and 2" wider rears, also a taller tire by 1 1/2" when compared to the OEM tires. Tires set at 6 lbs front, 6.75 lbs rear which some tell me I should be running softer... nope. Most of the extra weight I am carrying goes on the front rack. All this allows for my ability to easily kick out that back end to make riding way more fun on a utility quad. Then I can slow down and have the IRS rear available for more difficult trail sections, i.e. technical rock, shelfs etc.

I certainly don't discount riding sport quads on rocky trails here in CO or places like Moab, but when riding upwards of 100 miles a day, comfort does become part of the equation too. So, it really comes down to the rider, rider skill level and abilities/confidence and their personal expectations.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Your Question Has Been Answered By Our Editors

The Blaster is one versatile ATV but whether or not it's the right one for you has a lot to do with the type of rocks you plan to pound. The full answer can be found here:

Ask The Editors: Yamaha Blaster Rock Master? - ATVConnection.com

Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, an irs equipped 4x4 utility would be the best for rockcrawling and long rides for sure. Obviously a blaster or something like that costs a whole lot less. Unless you're 5'7" or under, anyone will feel cramped on a blaster, they're just tiny. Even a 250cc 2wd utility quad will feel a lot more comfortable. They have a longer wheelbase and full floorboards and more ground clearance. Something like a Suzuki Ozark or Honda Recon won't cost a lot more than a blaster but will be a lot more capable in rocky terrain. The utility quads are geared a little lower too and that helps to give you the extra power you need in slow speed situations. If you plan to ride in this type of terrain most of the time, a sport quad probably isn't your best choice.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't encounter a lot of rocks on most of the trails I ride but I've straddled and missed some rocks that I'm sure would have hit the rear sprocket or brake disc of a straight axle quad. Blasters are fun little quads but they're too small for most men. At 6 feet tall I'm way too big for one so I always buy full size quads.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low ground clearance and big rocks don't mix. The trails around here have a lot of boulders that's why you do not see many chain drive sport ATVS.

Most chain drive ATVs have only 3" of ground clearance between the ground and rears chain sprocket . The problem is most of the boulders are taller then 3" and the boulder usually win the confrontation when the two meet.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I don't encounter a lot of rocks on most of the trails I ride but I've straddled and missed some rocks that I'm sure would have hit the rear sprocket or brake disc of a straight axle quad. Blasters are fun little quads but they're too small for most men. At 6 feet tall I'm way too big for one so I always buy full size quads.
I'm just a shade under 6 ft tall myself. I considered buying a Suzuki z250 once until I got on it. My knees were literally banging against the handlebars. And a blaster is even a little smaller yet. Maybe at least a 300ex would be a little bigger but the chain drive just really limits your ground clearance. Utility quads are shaft drive which gives you much more ground clearance and you don't have to deal with chains and sprockets.

Quick Reply: Can a Yamaha blaster handle going over big rocks?