Need 1996 Polaris Sporstman 500 Rear Axle Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 1996 Polaris Sporstman 500 Rear Axle Help

Hi... Can't remove rear left axle. I've loosened bolt in u joint housing. Need any advice for tricks. Tried slide hammer. Was thinking heat next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also. Has anyone replaced inner unjoint with axle still on the Atv. Thanks

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hardest drive shaft to remove that Polaris made. Has a spacer that both drive shafts tie into. Even if you remove the bolt free from the spacer, rust and corrosion over the years can almost fuse the splines of the shaft to the internal drive gear. PB blaster,Liquid Wrench and plenty of heat along with the slide hammer can probably get it out. Worst case is to tighten the bolt back up,loosen the other side and see if you can get this side out. Then you can use a big punch or air hammer to impact the frozen drive shaft out. U- joints need to be replaced on the work bench. Too much trouble trying to get the caps off and on installed. Replace inner and outer u joints as a set or you'll have to go back in later.

Attached Thumbnails Need 1996 Polaris Sporstman 500 Rear Axle Help-index.png  
Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks... I'll give it a shot!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Last thing... Would a heat gun work for sufficient heat, or should I use a torch. Looking for best and safest method. Thanks again for the response.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

We used propane torches on things of this nature. Around wiring,plastic,close to fuel lines or tank we used heat guns to be on the safe side. Takes a little longer to heat up things with the gun.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your help. This has turned out to be a huge issue. The u joint housing wouldn't come off from the transmition. It's fused, so had to put new u joint in while it was on the machine. Although the problem is fixed, I have another big problem I'm trying to get around. It's the front right axle. Should I start a new thread or continue with this one. New to this whole thing. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You're already here,so what's the problem?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1996 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4. My buddy drove it and impacted the front right side enough to dent the rim and cause it to flatten the tire. He broke his leg also, so it was heavy impact. The front right shaft was impact. I have a wobble and shimmy at low speeds and when I go above 20 it stops. I have new rims. Axle is straight. Ball joint seems fine and tie rod is straight also with no play. I can't find cause for wobble. Dealer said replace ball joints, but they seem fine and I don't want a money pit to start. someone said the knuckle may be bent but I'm not sure. It looks somewhat even to the left. I'm in Canada. Do you have a number I can call to talk to you directly. I can explain it more detailed. It's a long story. I'm trying to find the symptom to correct it, but I'm finding it difficult. Everything seems tight and true in terms of tie rods and ball joint. The one thing I noticed is a guy I gave it to adjusted the toe by eye and I said it's very specific. Like an 1/8th of inch on each side for toe out. When I checked it after it was 1 inch out. It's a terrible wobble and something isn't true. Need guidance big time.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Was also going to ask. I'm getting three different opinions.
1. Replace shocks.
2. Replace ball joints.
3. Replace knuckle or spindle.

I'd like to know how to deduce which ones to do? I've done the Internet thing on each symptom and repair, but I can't find the problem. Things seem true and tight, so need specific tricks to diagnose each problem.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Usually when something like this happens,a hit hard enough to bend the rim,the a-arm can get tweaked and can cause it to shimmy. Best way to try to find the problem is to jack it up(takes the load off) check for any tweaking or slack in the a-arm where it mounts to the frame plus at the ball joint. Plus if the wheel is out of alignment(toe in/out) with the rear tire that can cause problems also.Plus check the strut mount at the top of the frame. It has a lower and upper pivot ball that can crack and the strut can be loose.1996 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 (W969244) Aarm/Strut Mounting Sportsman 500 & Swedish Sportsman 500 S96924 | Cycle Parts Warehouse 1996 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 (W969244) Front Strut Sportsman 500 | Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus with the tire off check the hub for any slack on the drive shaft and see if it spins straight along with the brake disc and no wobble.

Quick Reply: Need 1996 Polaris Sporstman 500 Rear Axle Help