700 sportsman fuel issuses

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:08 AM
firejake77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 sportsman fuel issuses

i have a 2005 700 efi sportsman has 60+ miles on it , i had put in storage after 2-3 years of use. enter problem, fuel was left in it by mistake and ended up solidifying in to sand like grains . long story short i replaced the fuel pump and cleaned all fuel system myself ( resisted the 700$ fuel tank price option from dealer). wouldnt start no matter what i did ,got frustrated an busy at work and project got shelved 1.5 years but i put additive in tank. i got back into it in the last 2 months as i need it to plow my drive as i lost my plow trk. i drained and cleaned tank again , tested and cleaned injectors, checked wires in and out of ecu (a ok, whew!)get fuel to fuel rail, (cont. test and volt test ok) finally read and tested fuel pressure test and i have 11-12 psi . i know its to be 39 +-3%, do i have bad fuel pump even though its only 1.5 and unused but submerged ? or my theory by reading threads that it is the pressure regulator plugged or stuck open? about to say f it and get full fuel assembly but have to do 150-175$ option when it might be a 40$ option fix, as it kind of tight financially and snows coming. is it worth the 40$ gamble or 200$ gamble? i see set of pumps and reg for 70$ but for convenience being thanksgiving weekend the jeep reg talked about maybe easier locally to get my hands on quicker

Old 11-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Get the kit with the regulator as you don't want to have to do this again. Plus always use some good sort of fuel stabilzer if it sits like it has been or this crappy ethanol gas can gel up. Marine Stabil,Star-Tron,or any good stabiler should keep fuel fresh for awhile. Ethanol just eats plastic and rubber. NEW Polaris Sportsman 500 700 800 EFI Fuel Pump X2 MV7 2004-2010 2520437 +REGLTR | eBay

Old 11-26-2016, 09:07 AM
firejake77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i replaced the fuel pump about 1.5 years ago before i sidelined the project, do i need to replace it also or just the pressure regulator?

Old 11-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd do both. Not worth the difference between the pump and the kit when you consider lost time in reordering and having to tear it down again. You'd eliminate both as the problem. One thing I hated was having to do things twice because I guessed on one thing or another.Possibly the pump is the problem,but the regulator could be going out also.