ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

atc illegal in ca?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default atc illegal in ca?

Some MX trakes and private owned land, where the state doesn't own, 3 wheelers might not be legal because of insurance reasons.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no law in the California Vehicle Code banning ATC's from being ridden in public riding areas. The section in the vehicle code that covers off road vehicles can be found under the 38000 section. ATC's might be banned from certain local riding areas though. That's why you need to check the regulations where you plan on riding. Lt. Dan

Old 04-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

When you say "local" you need to qualify that by preceding it with the word private. State owned and operated OHV areas are open to all legally registered off-road vehicles. A private park or track may exclude ATCs from entry for whatever reason, but the state of California has no such ban in place for its thousands of acres of riding areas. That includes Pismo Beach, Gorman AND Hollister. From what I know, the state isn't even considering a ban. They figure that ATCs will disappear by attrition as parts become harder to get and/or they get too expensive to fix. Heck, the newest ATC is already 18 years old, which is well past the typical service life of most OHVs. Later...

Rick

Old 04-03-2004, 02:57 AM
Quad Patrol

[quote]
Originally posted by: RADRick
When you say "local" you need to qualify that by preceding it with the word private.

Local means just that, you need to check your local regulations. When I think of local, I don't just think of private riding areas, this includes county owned property too.

The state might not have banned ATC's, but, they can and do limit what vehicles can be ridden at their parks. So, to say that all registered vehicles can be ridden at all state ohv parks is incorrect.

The site below has is operated by San Bernandino Co. and it has banned ATC's.
co.sanbernadino.ca.us/parks/ohv.htm

Old 04-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: rescuediver

Local means just that, you need to check your local regulations. When I think of local, I don't just think of private riding areas, this includes county owned property too.

Rick replied: Local has a different meaning depending on where you're at. For us in SoCal, the only private park nearby is Glen Helen, which bans 3-wheelers. Even Ocotillo Wells and Saddleback allow them, AFAIK. Glamis is state-run and has no bans on anything.

He also said: The state might not have banned ATC's, but, they can and do limit what vehicles can be ridden at their parks. So, to say that all registered vehicles can be ridden at all state ohv parks is incorrect.

The site below has is operated by San Bernandino Co. and it has banned ATC's.
co.sanbernadino.ca.us/parks/ohv.htm
Apples and oranges there. My statement was about state-owned OHVRAs, but you start off talking about county parks and then you reference a county-owned park's web site (the link didn't work, BTW). I stand by my statement regarding STATE OHVRAs. I've spoken to several rangers at state OHVRAs and they all said the same thing: There are no plans to ban ATCs from state parks. County-run parks do not include any of the state-run OHVRAs. These parks are funded by green-stickie money and unless they find a different way to get funding, so long as they keep using OHV registration funds they will not be able to restrict any vehicle with a valid sticker. Later...

Rick

Old 05-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just registered my 84 200es in febraury for my new green sticker, i live and ride in california... glamis, johnson valley, ocotillo wells, mammoth, san bernardino-sierra-angelus national forests and el mirage and i see tons of atc riders at these blm, state and federal lands and talk with the rangers often-never any problem. Everyone whose had a problem ive ever seen was for lack of registration. I laughed when one guy told me about the jerk ranger that took an hour and a half and gave him a 200+ dollar ticket. I guess its too hard to pay the smaller registration fee.
Thanks for the info in this forum as I am new to it.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are trikes illegal in NC?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

I ride regularly at all of those places (was @ hollister last week), stonyford the week before, mammoth bar before that and visit the prairie city mud bog regularly.

You must be trying to raise up some crap or something.

If you have a green or red sticker - you can ride in any state park - just stay on the designated trails.

I called San Bernardino county BLM office in barstow - they say that all ATV parks/areas are open to all 2/3/4 wheeled vehicles.
Which site is closed to 3 wheelers?

That would **** me off to show up and have them say I can't ride.

"In 1984, skyrocketing ATV sales led to an increase in accidents, prompting an investigation by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). In 1986, CPSC statistics suggested that most ATV accidents were due to improper rider behavior that ignored the distributor's warnings. No inherent flaw was found in the three-wheel or four-wheel ATV design."

Old 02-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

WTF i Cant ride my trike at hollister aww... my bike is registred till june 05 and i just have about 8 months when i bought it. dont tell this time when i go pay the dmv i wont be able to buy the sticker. this is kinda stupid banning or not letting 3 wheels on some parks/trails this stinks. for sure pismo is cool and all i go there once in a while. ALL I HAVE TO SAY F**K ARNOLD HES AN ACTOR WHAT DOES HE KNOW ABOUT POLITICS.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

Arnold rocks man... This is coming from someone in the sacto area however....
Damn commie desert turtle tree owl you name it animal lovin' democrats are the problem. Save the forrest - save the desert - close imperial - close pismo.. whatever.

Don't vote for commie bastard tree huggers like barbara boxer, alan cranston (thats a name from the past eh?), diane feinstein, etc.

Want our sport to continue? Something tells me pres. bush won't be closing down the environment any time soon.

When our politicians are sierra club members --- this is a problem...

Quick Reply: atc illegal in ca?