ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

New member...please help with electrical problem 250ES

Old 03-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member...please help with electrical problem 250ES

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. I have spent years dreaming about the glory days of my youth spent on my Honda atc 70 and later my atc 110. I always thought I was just a nutcase for still missing my "trike".

Anyway, I went to a website last week that had a Honda three wheeler in California from a police auction so I asked my wife if I could bid on it, it was $725.00. She said NO WAY. Then, she said, check the local paper for one..the shipping would kill us to get one from CA. I said, so I can shop for one? She said, You've only been talking about Honda three wheelers since before we got married 10 years ago...just get one already. Woohoo!

So, that same day I found a 1986 big red in the local paper listed for $400. This is a one owner bike and according to him it ran when he parked it two years ago. It doesn't run now. He bought a 4X4...loser...anyway, his loss is my gain. I paid him $300 for it and I took my new project home.

So far here's what I've done.

1. Bought a battery, plug, tail light cover, carb rebuild kit (moose)
2. Drained the gas from the tank, reserve cup, and carb.
3. Pulled the carb off and rebuilt (got all the sludge out)
4. Ordered a copy of a shop manual (not yet received)
5. Checked all three fuses

The electric start does not work. So, I tried the kick starter and there is just no spark at the plug. I checked the contacts on the coil by the plug and there is no juice when I try to start it with the pushbutton. I jumped the started relay and the starter motor kicked over...so the starter motor is good.

I'm thinking its the CDI, but I'd like a second opinion. Could it be the alternator? Is there an ignition coil in there too? Please hurry, I'm just dying to hear the putt-putt of the mighty big red engine.

So, anyway, it's great to know that I'm not a nutcase and there are so many of you who also cherish their 3-wheelers. I've read through all 38 pages of posts and I see that so many of you are Honda ATC freaks..I am in such good company! I'm mean...dummerguy 84...2K for your ATC 350X and you won't sell?! That's so awesome...you're the man! So, at least I've verified that while I'm not a nutcase, I'm just a freak like him and the rest of you.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have a trx 250 but it has been years. First off, it seems fishy that the electric start does not work with the push button but you hot wire it and it turns over. 10 to 1 the fire problem is related to the starter problem. Does the head light work? What about the neutral light, reverse light, or oil temp light? Sounds like a short or something is fried. I don't think you have a cdi problem. Get a test light and start checking stuff.

Tell more and maybe someone will be able to help you figure it out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

if you are geting no spark try this because one day i whent out to take my big red for a ride and i could not get it to strart it did not get and spark and i went to auto zone and bought a new plug for 1.50 and it pured like a kitten

on my the electric start will only work some times and it will only work if the neutral light is on

hope you get it going soon there a blast to ride

Old 03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok...here's what I know now.

The bike is really hard to shift gears with. Most of the time, when I push the gear lever down the gear won't change...is this a clutch problem?

I took Big Red back to the guy who sold it to me, he finally got it into neutral and it started in less than a second.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

how much did you pay for this bike?

Old 03-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I paid $300...new battery new plug other odds n ends...about $380 total.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

wel..if i could look at the bike...Id be able to tell ya whats wrong w/ the gears....maby the guy wore them out?...rough riding does that...trust me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]......lol...but for 300 running, is a good deal, if you know a mechanic, become his best friend, best way to go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Become his best friend...LOL. My brother-in-law and his best friend used to race bikes when they were young, dumb, and full of ***. Anyway, the local Honda shop got them their parts at cost. They don't anymore, but they have a very good relationship with them I just learned...but they are booked until MAY. I ordered a shop manual from ebay which should be here this week. I am hoping that the clutch plates are stuck together because it hasn't been run.

BTW, I did get to run the big red this morning...SOB is this thing fast!!!! I had no idea...I used to have a 110 and it really wouldn't get going until you topped out 3rd gear...but this baby crosses an acre in a few seconds...woohoo!

Old 03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

find the lone wire, and the other lone wire coming out of the case on the tranny, one might be grey and one might be green or something.....if you unplug these, it will disable the neutral safety setup. what you can do is find the wire that goes to the starter relay....theres one. then there will be two wires goin to the cdi box, one will be a power wire, off the stator, and one will be possibly grey, the grey one should be the one you want. on mine the power wire is black with a red tracer. this black power wire may be bunched with two yellow wires coming out of the stator cover(yellow=lighting coil, black/red=ignition coil)
the starter relays always seems to be all rotten and green, so thats probly why your electric start doesent work.
if you find that your relay is all rotten, let me know because i may be able to help you rewire it, though you may have different color wires....i just did mine, wired in a new relay, got my lights workin, and rigged my pushbutton start to work. ahh, the lengths ill go to avoid having to do something physical like pulling the motor over......wiring problems are what im good at, but ive never had a clutch apart before.....

Old 04-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

All better now.

I opened both sides of the case and the shift arm was cracked and the screw that holds the gear to the drive shaft was bent. I had the shift arm welded up and I fabricated a new screw (honda wanted $15 for it) and it shifts like brand new.

What a blast! After all these years I finally got the trike running.

I have photos of it Here.