ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Big red not starting WTF. weird idle issue when it ran.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big red not starting WTF. weird idle issue when it ran.

big red not charging. wtf.

Ok so I finally got my big red out and for a ride this weekend. After about 1hour of riding and having to restart the beast every time it stopped. The beast doesn't want to idle with the idle screw almost all the way in.

I don't think its a charging problem. I checked the battery with a volt meter and it showed 13volts. which should be plenty to get the trike to fire.

the starter seleniod is just clicking and occasionally will go to turn the starter....I have not been able to find a replacement online for this seloniod, anyone have some ideas? Also when I was doing my test drive the trike would not idle when I came to a stop, and my dad said he thought he heard a noise as if the started was still engaged when it died. Could the starter have been sticking? or is it supposed to be to charge the battery?

also right before the last time it died, I came to a stop and the motor reved up on its own and just died, I hope this was as a result of low/no fuel as it ran out.

I as always ,was unable to get the thing to fire off the kick starter. I've never been able to.

So is a starter needed or a seloniod? can anyone identify this problem?

Old 10-04-2004, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it dies and you here a spinging noise in the motor that is the transmission windind down. Next time you hear it put in gear. Also consider rebuilding the carberator. At least take it apart and clean it. You starter problem sounds like you need to chase wires then test volts to starter, should show 13 volts. Try starting it wile it is hooked up to a battery charge.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Have the battery load tested, at the local auto parts store( napa or autozone). The battery, may have 13 volts just sitting there, but when the starter is used, it puts a load on the battery and , the volts will drop, because of the load. When a battery is going bad, the volts drop too far, and the relay( solinoid), wont stay engaged. Thats the clicking noise you can hear.
See if it will idle with the choke on. If it will, then either you have a vacumn leak or the idle circuit is plugged, and needs to be cleaned out.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

Conig: Ok so I finally got my big red out and for a ride this weekend.

You battery sounds low. Also may be condensation or water in the gas tank. Flush all the gas out add new gas and charge your battery before you take it to the shop or tear it apart.

I had this happen to me last winter with bad gas. I flushed the tank and fuel lines/carb added new gas and inline filter and charged my battery back up. It ran wierd still for a few minutes and back to normal.....

Good luck....