ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

does boosting from a truck f**k stuff up ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does boosting from a truck f**k stuff up ?

hiya,

I recently purchased a off road vehicle battery for my 1984 yamaha 200e three wheeler in order to get my electric start going again, buuuut, when i hooked it up i had no juice whatsoever getting through. My battery is all set up right and i trickle charged it for 12 hours so that can't be the problem. I tried scraping down my posts to make a better contact and that didn't work. I had also boosted my bike with a pair of jumper cables right off my truck this summer, last nite my friend told me that i prolly fried something when i bossted it like that, is this true ? And if so, what did i fry ? I also re-tried boosting the bike from my truck last week and i wasn't getting any juice, not even the neutral light was lighting up. any help would be great thank you.

~Eric

Old 12-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds like you poped a fuse. If the fuses are OK, you're going to have to start chasing wires with an ohm meter untill you find the bad one.

Also, check and make sure the bulbs are still good and that you really don't have power. I've had a bad voltage regulator cause all the bulbs to blow at once in a bike. It took me a while to figure out why nothing would light up.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Depends. Was the truck running when you gave it a boost? If it was off, then all your quad saw was 12.6 volts, and that didnt hurt a thing. If the motor was running, the alternator was running, and they usually put out 14 plus volts, which could damage the starter and/or the regulator.The starter expects to see 12.6 volts max, and the internal resistance is figured based on this . The regulator dumps all voltage, over 15 or 15.5 volts to ground thru the heat sink. If you overwelm the voltage regulator, with high voltage for a short burst, itll probably survive. But if you left the engine running on the truck, for very long, it could have fried the regulator.
Check the fuses first. If the fuse is blown, it probably protected your electronics.
Just remember in the future, if you jump start, the donor vehicle needs to be off.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks man,

I'll check that out tonite, is the fuse hard to find ? I haven't really looked around too much in there, i've never noticed a fusebox. Whereabout do i look ? Thanks again for the help, I never knew this site would be so helpfull.

~Eric

Old 12-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Look around the battery, or check the owners manual.
If there is a fuse, and there should be, itll be with in about 6 inches of the battery. Take the seat off, and look around the battery area, and the positive lead coming from it.