ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Gas leak out of shut off valve!! HOW TO??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak out of shut off valve!! HOW TO??

Well I just drove 14 hrs yesterday to get my 84 250R. It was raining hard when I picked it up so I just loaded it on the trailer and started home. Well when I did get it home, I thought I would try to start it up. Kicked it a couple of times and nothing. I checked the shut off valve and it was off. So I turned it on and it leaked gas everywhere. I know it was leaking from the valve itself but it had to of been leaking from somewhere else also. Can I just buy a shut off valve or is that attatched to the tank?? I wanted to wait to tear it down and restore it, but w/ that problem and a tranny problem I am thinking I might just start right into it. I kinda wanted to fix the tranny for now and enjoy it this summer. THANKS

Old 04-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

I just tore the carburator off and it isn't leaking from the shut off valve anymore, but the gas is pouring out of an overflow tube on the bottom of the float bowl. I don't understand that. Do I need a new carburator or can I just buy a repair kit? Also the throttle cable is sticking. I'll push on the throttle and it don't snap back like it should. Takes about 3 seconds to totally go back to normal. Is there a way to fix that or should I just buy a new throttle cable to.
Thanks

Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would take apart the petcock/shutoff valve and put some new orings or leather home made washers. That would make the petcock stop leaking. Your carb should stop the flow through the bowl with the float valve. A carb rebuld should stop the overflow. If not, your float valve seat is damaged and a new/used carb should fix that.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

Well I guess I might have gotten screwed on this deal. I took the carb apart cleaned everything, thought maybe that float might have been stuck. Gas still leaks out of that overflow tub on the bottom of the float bowl, so I turned off the fuel again. Well I thought I might just try and start it anyway. 3 kicks and it started right up then a LOUD LOUD knocking noise coming from the engine!! OVERHAUL!!!! I know a guy that will do it for me. He used to work at a Honda Dealer. What upgrades should I do to the engine while I have it out?? Please let me know. My friend said to give him 100 bucks and he would do it. So I have around 700 to spend. Could I do a 300 kit for that??