ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

I have picked up a three wheeler dont know what year it is but it is a honda 185 I rode it for a day then it kept stalling well I found that it had a small gas leak and it was not getting enough gas to keep it running well after I fixed this problem I let it sit for a few days then when I went to ride it again the idle was super high I can not get it to idle down not even after it reaches normal temp it sounds like the engine is going to blow I tried giving the accelerator a couple of squeezes to see if it would kick down but nothing I also have checked the idle screw, choke , and even rebuilt the caburator nothing works if anyone can elaborate on my problem it would be greatly appreciated I desperately need help you can leave message on here or email me at <span class="FTHighlightFont">abbey4@fairpoint.net</span ft>

Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 AM
The Facility
Default HELP

Your problem sounds throttle linkage related considering that it didnt have this issue before wrencing on it.
Raising the needle a dramatic height can cause the problem you describe.
Also look to see if you have the throttle slide in backwards where it lines up on the idle screw....this is a common error when screwing the cap back down.
If that checks ok,..screw the cap back on...look through the rear of the carb and verify that the slide is bottoming in the carburetor. The throttle cable shouldnt limit it from bottoming.
You can also check to see if the intake between the carb and engine isn't cracked or not sealed properly. When either occurs, it will cause the engine to run lean and generally rev higher with little to no throttle applied, but will also run poorly when put under load. You didnt mention that, but it's something else to look into.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default HELP

Good to see you back KNOWSALOT. There are many people who have benefitted from your help, including me. I thought you were ran off the forums.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
The Facility
Default HELP

Hey man. Thanks. Good to see you and alot of others are still here.
I peep around on here occasionally. Never gone for good.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP

well I have finally had time to check things out and all is well now thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated I did have a slight crack in the intake which I was able to fix with some <u>jb weld</u> and also after disassembling the carb again I notice that the like you described the cable was not bottoming out with a twist and a push this cable seated down in after reasseble and a tug of the cord success!! no more high idle it acctually runs better now then that first time I drove it so thank you for your help....

Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP

I'm going through the same right now, when i pulled the intake off I noticed that whoever did it last used silicone instead of replacing the o-ring. Both o-rings are flattened right out on the carb and intake. I gooped the intake one tonight but will likely just change the o-ring tomorrow. The mechanic i spoke with this afternoon alerted me to how 4-strokes idle super high if they are sucking air anywhere past the carburator. Tomorrow will tell! It also seemed as though the sleeve wasn't seated properly but that's ok now too.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default HELP

Interesting theory on the seals past the carb. I have an 82 KLT200 that I picked up for next to nothing, and it runs pretty good when its warm, but until it gets good and warm I have to continuously adjust the choke and idle to keep it firing.

To fix my problem I rebuilt the carb, which was clean for all practical purposes, I ordered a new AM throttle cable, and I'm also waiting on a new diaphragm for the fuel pump..., those were all the things I think that would make the idle surge. But after reading your post, if there is a seal or gasket leak somewhere, heat would cause it to close, which makes sense. Thanks!!