ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Are Three Wheelers Safe!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Three Wheelers Safe!

I have noticed some good discussion on another thread that has my interist
So
Let's hear it good bad
My thoughts are simply anything if not treated properly is unsafe
Proper safety gear should worn
Myself I do ride both three wheelers and quads
I have managed to wreck on both it does happen
But I have never blambed the bikes
Thoughts
Ray

Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a copy and paste from a study on atv safety:

While all ATVs are dangerous, none are more inherently hazardous than the three wheeled variety. In fact, these "bikes" are so dangerous that their manufacturer has been prohibited in the United States since the late 1980s. While they remain illegal to manufacture, many of the discontinued bikes are still in the possession of Americans. Potential accident victims still enjoy the thrill that accompanies the lighter weight and tighter turns a three wheeler can provide, at the cost of stability and safety.

Even with proper safety standards, riding a three wheeler is a dangerous undertaking. It is estimated that in 2003 alone, 125,500 people required trips to the emergency room due to accidents on ATVs. Trikes (three wheeled bikes) are much more dangerous than quads, so these figures represent a much higher frequency of injuries for them. In addition, since trikes are much more difficult to operate than quads, they put other riders and even pedestrians and property in danger. No one can afford to be careless on a quad; careless on a trike is even more dangerous.

Carelessness is probably the main reason they are unsafe.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:50 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

That report on atv's sounds like its straight from the 20/20 show that ended the atc's life. I was always amaze that the same year 3 wheelers were deemed unsafe was the same year 1 of them, a Honda 250 I think. Won the overall at either the Baja 500 or 1000. I think quads are more dangerous than atc's because of the perceived safety of 4 wheels. Might not be too popular of a thought here.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Range Rover

I guess its not really the machines that aren't safe, its the way people ride them. A car, gun, even a pedal bike may not be considered safe if that are not use correctly.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Range Rover

3 wheelers are safe. People need to learn how to control them. It is never the machines fault. It is always the Operator/Mechanics fault. Broken Parts causing accidents are often because of lack of maintenance. I have flipped 3 wheelers, and smaller 4 wheelers, and it was always because of my error.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Yamaha 200EX trike, never had a problem with it. Now couple weekends ago, i let a buddy ride it. He was out of control, flipped it and broke his collar bone. Are they safe........YES. It's all in the rider and how he handles it.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

No,stay the hell away from those death traps.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 3wheelersforlife

No,stay the hell away from those death traps.</end quote></div>

maybe you ought to change your nickname[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Range Rover
Default Are Three Wheelers Safe!"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Buckcreekbilly

I have a Yamaha 200EX trike, never had a problem with it. Now couple weekends ago, i let a buddy ride it. He was out of control, flipped it and broke his collar bone. Are they safe........YES. It's all in the rider and how he handles it.</end quote></div>

exactly. my cousins ex boyfriends recently bought a 4 wheeler, and the same thing happened. he flipped it and broke his collar bone his 3rd day out on it. its the RIDER.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Are Three Wheelers Safe!"></title><script src=

I hear ya, the wifes uncle just flipped a grizzly 4 wheeler and broke 7 ribs and his granddaughter leg broke. It's all about the rider. I know I can flip my 185s but I know how to safely drive it with or without passengers. I will also never let anyone else drive it, just me and my wife.

Quick Reply: Are Three Wheelers Safe!