ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

ATC185 wont run weak spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM
PSK
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATC185 wont run weak spark

Hi,

I've got a ATC185 that wont run!!!!! it seems to have a weak spark, if i turn the throttle stop right in and use a brand new plug it will run (rev high) 2 mins and then die once . if it doesnt go 1st or second pull then the plug will get soo wet and no spark is then present.

Any ideas????

Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM
PSK
Weekend Warrior
Default ATC185s wont run

Swapped out the stator coil yesterday and I have fitted new connector ends on the wires, but still the spark seems weak.

It ran again for a short time by openning the throttle stop wide open, however it then stalled once i tried to lower the tick over. Plug was wet and black and no spark was present until i cleaned the spark plug again????

Anyone had similar faults, as I am pullin my hair out with this one!!!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Has the bike been running fine prior to this or did you pick the bike up in this condition?

What's the ohm reading between the black wire from the stator and the bike frame?

What's the ohm reading on the primary and secondary coil?

(use this manual if you don't have access to one already)
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/Honda%20200E%20Big%20Red%201982-83%20CD.pdf

Have you performed a compression test?

Based on the information you've given it would sound as though you're running rich. You'll want to check your carburetor and how it's tuned. Check the cir-clip is on the throttle needle. It should be on the 3rd notch. Also, your pilot screw, may want to screw it all the way in and then back it out 2 and 1/2 turn.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 PM
PSK
Weekend Warrior

Hi Thanks for your comments!

I got the bike in bits about 6 months ago, but was told it has had new piston & rings and it compression tested OK. When i first bought it, it started more or less straight away and It had been starting first or second pull with a new plug althought after running it about 3 or 4 times it would not run or spark and the plug would be very wet and black.

So far Ive switched out the stator and ignition coil and changed the wiring end connectors in the hope that the spark would at least get a little stronger. but unfortunately no luck!!

I've not yet taken any ohms reading (due to mot havin a manual) thanks again!!! but hope to do so in the next couple of days.

Question: does the 185s (pull start only) generally have a a large blue spark? should a wet plug make it loose its spark as mine does?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

When you clean and ground spark plug is it sparking blue everytime.If so it sounds like it is fuel fouling out. Try cleaning the carb and see if there is any improvement.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
PSK
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

Just done the electrical checks

Stator 191 ohms
Primary coil 0.1ohms
secondary 4.3 ohms

Spark was quite small just about blue jumping about 0.5mm.

tried a different pug cap

also cleaned all the carb and jets out

And it would it still would not run!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

im gonna have to agree with mikel1 on this ... sounds like its dumping WAY too much fuel into the motor ... when it fires up is it smoking black ?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
PSK
Weekend Warrior

Its not smoking when fires up, but it just wont tick over either. ive tried another carb on it ithout success. it ran better before i put an air box on it but still wont go even if i remove it.

Im baffle'b

Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Just wondering what jets do you have in the carb right now? Which choke setting is it on (there are 3)? needle setting? Have you gone through it? My 185 starts with 1-2 pulls even after sitting, it has a blue/yellow spark using a ngk or champion plug (ngk=better). Another carb wont do much if it wasn't jet correct. If your switching out ignition parts with no luck time to try something different
Silly question but have you changed the plug?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
PSK
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

Thanks for responding I thought everyone had given up on me!

Yeah I have tried new plugs it did work a couple of times initially but soon sooted it up.

I got that fed up with is about a month ago that I decided to buy a 200s instead on ebay. Guess what 2 days after i got it home I got the same issue with this one too! . freakin sooty plugs and wont start

However, I have just bought a new carb and fitted it yesterday and it seems to be fixed...... not checked the plug yet thou, but it has started about 10 times over the last two days .

Also when i bought the carb i got such a good deal so I decided to get another for my 185. fingers crossed it will do the same job in fixing it. As the symptoms were both the same.

Quick Reply: ATC185 wont run weak spark