ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Lets get a list going of states that allow you to make your ATV street legal

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lets get a list going of states that allow you to make your ATV street legal

As the title suggests. Also list the city that allows it even if the state does not.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Freebird: What an excellent idea! I think there are over 20 states that have street legal laws, let's see if my guess is right.

Street Legal law means your ATV is registered and licensed like a motorcycle, and it complies with certain state specific safety equipment like a motorcycle might. And you can be ticketed for violating local traffic laws. I don't think being allowed to ride your ATV down a gravel road as a farm implement is my definition of a street legal law.

Okay, that said, I offer the following states have street legal ATV laws:

Utah
Arizona
Idaho
Montana

ATV residents of those state can affirm or correct me. I note they are western states where the ATV hobby is pretty active. Around here Moab is an ATV mecca.

I strongly believe street legal laws would enhance our hobby considerably. My ATV sits in the garage until I can plan a trail ride. Then I tie it to the trailer, drive two hours to the selected trail, unload, find a place to park, and then repeat after my trail ride. Where I live, I would also enjoy meeting my ATV friends at a local rural restaurant for lunch, and then a ride down the rural river road for a while. These are secondary roads, not major highways.

David

Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Back Country Explorer

Here is an interesting article from UTV Magazine on line. There certainly a movement toward making our ATVs and side by sides legal on restricted roads.

I thought this article may help our list.

UTV Action Magazine | STREET-LEGALIZE YOUR UTV

David

Old 01-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

The state of Washington has approved making atv's & sxs's street legal, on streets with a maximum speed limit of 35MPH
However, it is up to each jurisdiction, city and county, to approve there use on the streets.
So far there are not many cities or counties that have approved them.
Any ATV or SXS needs blinkers, horns, headlights, taillights and brake lighrs.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks for the information. We can add Washington State to the list. I hope your area allows the ATV and SxS motor vehicles on your local secondary roads. Do you ride yours on public roads? You have been an ATV enthusiasts for many years. Maybe you or your club was instrumental in getting Washington to pass such a law?

I see several states allow street legal ATVs only with local jurisdiction approvals. At least it is a step in the right direction. Before that law was passed, local jurisdictions could not allow ATVs or UTVs even if they wanted to.

It is important the state law defines registration, license plate requirements, fees, safety equipment required, road types and other necessary parameters for the local authorities consideration. It is important states allow a plated ATV from out of state to ride on their roads. It would be a confusing mess otherwise.

I submit the key is to have local jurisdictions try a rural area and let folks get used to the idea of something different on the roads; such as a county, or the south part of the city boarders. ATVs look funny to some folks who have no familiarity with them. They certainly haven't been around as long as motorcycles.

In street legal states the ATV and UTV is a more common sight on the roads. Local drivers know how to slow their cars and trucks and make a safe pass of an ATV. We all know how to do this for a low powered motor scooter or a bicycle. And ATV operators know when to pull over safely and let accumulated traffic pass. I do that frequently when pulling my camper trailer. It's just a matter of getting used to it. As we say in Colorado "Share the Road".

Allowing ATVs and UTVs to ride and drive on public roads would certainly be an big advantage to the enthusiasts living in the jurisdiction. And it would have very little impact on local life.

David

Old 02-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Back Country Explorer

I understand Tennesee is also a street legal ATV state. The forum discussed side by sides, but I think it applies to quads too. I did not research the particulars of the law.

Tennessee is a great state. I'm glad to read residents there have street legal ATVs in their favor.

David

Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
I understand Tennesee is also a street legal ATV state. The forum discussed side by sides, but I think it applies to quads too. I did not research the particulars of the law.

Tennessee is a great state. I'm glad to read residents there have street legal ATVs in their favor.

David
The state does not register ATVs. They will issue registration for UTVs under the Medium Speed Vehicle rules but not Atvs. Sure wish they would and get with the program.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Back Country Explorer

Okay, your Tennessee is half way there. UTV side by sides look like cars while ATVs look like 4 wheel motorcycles. Maybe that's why they get preferential treatment?

David

Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did I hear someone say StreetLegal ATV...

Well if you want a street legal 4wheeler check this out !

Attached Thumbnails Lets get a list going of states that allow you to make your ATV street legal-peugeot-quark-04.jpg   Lets get a list going of states that allow you to make your ATV street legal-quark01.jpg  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Back Country Explorer

Welcome Streetkwad: Wow, that is a spectacular "4 wheeler"! It must be a one off show piece. It may not do trail rides, climbing rock falls, plow snow, or pull trailers very well. But I sure like the style.

You have a great user name. Maybe you can ride you ATV on the streets in your neighborhood. Many states do allow street legal riding. I wish mine was one of them.

David