Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which quad ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 02:25 PM
Rob
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah can i see that artcle you scanned i wanna c it i was also wondering about The Kawiaki Bayou 220 ?? Whats the top speed of an Recon ?? What about the sport Thanks if i could see what you scanned !~!

Old 07-27-1999, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

All right, I'll try to send it to you right now... The Bayou is also an excellent choice for you, but I'd go with the Recon simply because it has a little bit more power-not much of an edge, but that would be my personal choice. Also, I'd probably try to do what DW did, but that'll cost some bucks.

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 07-27-1999, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey you might know me from som of my other posts. Well I have a Bayou 220. I'll give ya a little info. The top speed is 47 mph, it's vary durable (I took it to a MX track and cleared 30ft tabletops), and sence you are comming from a 80cc quad you probley will like it. Also I can recomend the Blaster but I dont have any experince with them. I'm just going by size. Also I have drag raced a Recon (I know this isn't inportant) and my 220 and the Recon finished side by side. Well i't up 2 you.

PS: I dont usually use the Bayou 220 for MX I just did a couple times. I now have a 1997 Yamaha Warrior.

PPS: Also i'm 13 years old.

Old 07-27-1999, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

There's some good info. Rob, he's right now, it's totally up to you. Because of your riding you will be doing, it's probably better for you to go with a Bayou or Recon instead of a Blaster. Go check them out in real life and decide from there. Later

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 07-27-1999, 05:07 PM
Rob
Trailblazer

I was orginaly geting a blaster cause of size price and there know to be realy good quads for the type of riding i thought i was going to do The bayou sound realy nice im goingto cheak that out on the week end and the honda recon and performance hop ups i can get ?? The bayou is 300 bucks less than the recon too Thats also nice These two quad are in my price range right now too Thanks for the info on The bayou got any more info for me Atv connection rated them realy good too Hey Mxrider how dobyou like the bayou What do you feel about it is it light enuf ?? easy to handel ?? Hows the suspention ?? Thanks if ya got any more information !!!

Old 07-31-1999, 10:39 PM
Rob
Trailblazer

I just got back from the dealer And tested the Recon I like it alot its alot smaller Than i thought Moving the handel bars was so much easier than a KodaK I could barly turn those !! I also checked out the Blaster I realy like its size and Light wieght feel !

Old 08-01-1999, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Well, in June of 97, I was going to get my first NEW atv from the crapped up TRX125 that I was riding for the previous year. I was 13, but I was 5-5 160 lbs. I now am 5-9 185 lbs, and the Recon still suites me fine. The Recon's done it all for me except in 1 situation-SNOW. I can go riding in mud, I can beat any non-sport quad, and I can go really fast. Its just an allround great quad. I suggest you get it, but if you are definitely planning on going in snow for more than 10 hours a year the decision isn't as simple. So, I suggest forget the 1 month of snow and get the recon which will fullfill your dreams at all other times.

------------------
Alibaba

'98 Honda 300ex, '97 Honda Recon, '86 TRX125

Old 08-01-1999, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well apon reading these posts I thought that I would give my 2cents. I had I 97' RECON and LOVED IT!!! They are light wieght and it has in my opinion the best turning and handling of all 250cc 2wd out there. I have rode Kawi Bayou 220 before, and my feed back on those was that it gave a nice soft ride, BUT when it comes time to turn a corner watch out!, It feel like you are gonna role the front tires right off oft the rims! They seem to be good dependable bikes but they just don't handle very good. Blasters are also a good bike, but if your gonna do very much trail or woods riding, REVERSE comes in very handy, and the Blaster does not have it. I just sold my Recon and bought a 99' FOREMANes because most of my riding buddies have 4x4's and it was alot of work to keep up with them. The thing I like about it is even though it is a big bike it does not handle or feel like a tank. Several of my friends still have Recons and none of them have ever had any problems with them. Top end on a stock Recon is around 42mph. One of the people I ride with has a Wolverine, It also is a great bike, the top end on it is around 61mph stock, although at times it can be bit lacking on low end "grunt". GOOD LUCK on whatever you decide.

Old 08-01-1999, 05:09 PM
Rob
Trailblazer

Well The recon sounds nice and the price is realy good What type of Mods and Things would i need to get more power and torque Does the Recon feel any thing like the Blaster in Ride percformance ? I heard you can tuen a Recon into a sport machine how would you do that ?

Thanks for all the good information keep it comming !

Old 08-01-1999, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Rob
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that modifications will be needed? With the Recon that I had it was nothing to pull a wheelie in 3rd gear, yes it is not as "snappy" as the blaster, but then your trying to compare a 4-stroke to a 2-stroke. For me and the riding I did (which does include some pretty sever stuff) the Recon always had enough power to get me where I wanted to go, the only thing that ever heald me up was loosing traction (because it is only 2wd) and just plain relizing what I was trying to do on it!

Quick Reply: Which quad ?