Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Kawasaki Mojave or Yamaha Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-1999, 07:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a used sport quad and I have narrowed it down to the Kawasaki Mojave or the Yamaha Warrior. (Please! Only info on these two quads, I don't care about any others, I have done a lot of research.) I have dealers for both machines in my area. I am looking to buy a mid-'90s machine. I have ridden Warriors but have never ridden a Mojave. Which would be the best machine in the long run? Which is the best in certain categories, suspension, handling, hillclimbing, bottom end, midrange, top end, wheelying etc. My friend has a Blaster and I want to be able to leave him in the dust. I know the Warrior is capable but what about the Mojave? Also, is it true that the Mojave is hard to start and floods easily like Dirt Wheels reports? I can find both machines around the same price so that is not a factor. I greatly appreciate advice from owners of these two machines.

P.S. I am 17 years old, 5'10", 155lbs, and I have driven, and can handle a Warrior.

Thanks
Duncan Currie
------------------

[This message has been edited by dunc_n (edited 08-23-1999).]

[This message has been edited by dunc_n (edited 08-23-1999).]

[This message has been edited by dunc_n (edited 08-24-1999).]

[This message has been edited by dunc_n (edited 08-28-1999).]

Old 08-23-1999, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

Well.. actually i think if you want to beat a blaster... then get a warrior, a mojave will never even contend with a blaster unless you make a 410 or whatever sizer motor dirtwheeles had in their race quad ... i think that the warriors are wayyyy over reated... look at them.... the want to be like 400ex (even though the warrior was made some 12 years, i think before it) maybe its the other way around.. but if you are looking for a 4 stroke id get a 400ex if you wanted to buy new (see even though i hate honda... i still can be nice about it.... now polaris.. thats a different story...

Chris Jack
87 lt20r.. broke AGAIN!!!

id rather be dead than Ride RED

Old 08-24-1999, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

Well I'll try to do like you asked (some people can't read) and not recommend another brand. I've ridden both and I prefer the Warrior. The Mojave my friend has is pretty quick, although he has modified it. It has a DOHC engine with a liquid cooler and all and is pretty advanced for a little four-wheeler engine. But the feeling when riding it is weird. Like it has a weird center of gravity. I read that the testers of one of the magazines had the same feeling. The warrior on the other hand feels more balanced and climbs hills, etc. a little better. I think either would smoke a blaster, IMHO

[This message has been edited by runnintaco (edited 08-24-1999).]

Old 08-24-1999, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a feeling that if and when Yamaha releases a 400 or 426 sport bike, the Warrior will be dropped from the lineup. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-25-1999, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

As you may know, I LOVE Mojaves, I haven't ridden a Warrior, although one of the people I ride with has owned and ridden the crap out of both, and he told me his opinions of both. I asked him your exact question, "which do you like better".

Well, he said the Warrior is faster, bigger, and more powerful, but the Mojave is quicker to maneuver, and works and handles better through the woods. The Mojave isn't extremely small as most people say it is. I met up with a 300EX, and it seemed larger than the EX.

I was also surprised to meet up with 3 other ATVers on Mojaves actually mudding in the trails, then getting about 6-7 feet of air on a rock pile. These guys were big and bulky, in their 20's, pretty large guys, and they were putting their machines through some tuff stuff. So, it's fair to say that the Mojave is a survivor. It was pretty cool with 5 Mojaves speeding through the woods together.

Going from what I have heard a number of times, both the Mojave and the Warrior would put you past the Blaster. If you want to go from straight up speed, the Mojave would pass up the Blaster, but the Warrior would pass up the Mojave. The Blaster is one kick *ss machine, it's just not as fast as the Mojave or Warrior. Any of the 3 would make you love the thing after you ride it.

Basically, you will be able to smoke your friend, either of your 2 choices will get the job done. If you prefer maximum power over maneuverability, go with the Warrior. If you prefer maneuverability over power, go with the Mojave. Both have very good handling and power, they just have an edge on each other in certain situations.

I ride 100% in the woods, so I'd personally want the Mojave. The rider I talked to said he'd take the Mojave over the Warrior for the woods, then the Warrior over the Mojave for speed, drags, or if you'll have a good amount of straightaways. Both are excellent woods quads, though. It all matters, what style of riding will you be doing?

------------------
- 1996 Kawasaki Mojave, 1998 Kawasaki Mojave, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/B...8090/home.html

Old 08-25-1999, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Thanks RidE for all your help. Your last question is my biggest problem. I will be riding a lot of woods, but will also be riding a lot of fire roads and straightaways. I probably won't jump much but wheelies and hillclimbing will be a part of every ride. I may end up with the warrior because I just looked at a '94 in excellent shape for a good price. It's all about which I can find used and I haven't yet found a Mojave. Oh, one other question. Is it true that the Mojave is hard to start and floods easily?

Thanks
Duncan Currie

------------------
'93 Suzuki LT-F4WD (Warrior or Mojave coming soon)

[This message has been edited by dunc_n (edited 08-24-1999).]

Old 08-25-1999, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

Except for tight quarters maneuvers (short wheelbase advantage)and full-lock turning around, the Warrior is better in every way. Sure, both are 10-12 year old designs, but the Warrior has always won the shootouts against the Mojave.

Thats my take on it, Shawn

Old 08-25-1999, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is one of the stupidest questions I have ever heard. The Warrior will EAT the mojave in every aspect of everything. The 2 motors arent even compareable, the warrior has a better suspension and more available mods. The only thing better on the mojave is the liqid cooling which is nothing big.

Old 08-26-1999, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

I have a freind who has a mojave and another that has a Warrior. The Warrior is better over all at everything. But the mojave will still leave behind a Blaster. I'm sorry people but Blasters do blow nuts.

P.S. My 300EX can kill all of them

------------------
300ex... The Big Red Machine

Old 08-26-1999, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Andy - I just bought a '00 Warrior (love it!). While talking with the dealer about the rumored 426 motor, he said that Yamaha was going to put the 426 in the Warrior for '00 but couldn't keep the frame together! They've had to go back to the drawing board on a new frame. He did say that the 426 bike would still be called the Warrior, though.

------------------

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Mojave or Yamaha Warrior?