Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-1999, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I am about to purchase a new 4x4 4wheeler and am not sure which one to go with. I have owned a Honda 200sx 4wheeler since '86 and I have never had a bit of trouble with it. I really want a 4x4 and I am almost afraid to go away from the Honda line but, I have heard so much and have been around alot of people with the Polaris Sportsman 500 and they love it. Is this a trustworth bike, is it likely to last a long time? I really like its features like the 11in. ground clearence. The two bike's I am compareing are mostly the Honda Foreman ES & S 450 and the Polaris Sportsman 500.
The main concerns with the Polaris are:
- It has a drive belt inside it "Does it wear out easily, break often, slip in any certian conditions??"
- It has a radiator with hoses and things that could cause problems"Any hearsayor info about that?"
- What about the automatic drive does it get in a bind when in the mud or climbing a hill?
- Any positive or negative comments about the Honda 450.

Please help me with this decision. Any other info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks Alot,
Joe Garner

Old 09-24-1999, 01:56 PM
Range Rover

Where to start?

Reliability - Hondas are pretty much bullet proof if you treat them right. Sportsman will require a little bit more maintenance. Some people's Sportsmans have turned out to be lemons, most have not.

Sportsman Belt - It slips when wet. Make sure the PVT cover is tight and the vent hose is secure and you shouldn't have any problems. If it does get wet, put the machine in neutral, rev the motor and it will dry. Carry a spare. They're cheap. Machine won't work without one. They don't wear very fast as long as you're not towing a lot of weight.

Sportsman on Mud and Hills - Awesome. True 4 wheel drive.

Sportsman down side - A little top heavy when cornering hard.

Hondas down sides - Could use a little more suspension travel and a smaller turning radius.

Automatic vs Manual Transmission - Whatever you get used to. In my opinion it's easier to climb hills on an automatic. It's easier to lift the front wheels on a manual. You pick, good and bad for each.

All the machines you mention are excellent machines and should serve you faithfully for many years.

One other machine to look at would be the Polaris Magnum 500. It's not quite as top-heavy as the Sportsman but still has more suspension travel than the Hondas.

Good luck,

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 09-24-1999, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,you did an EXCELLANT job of explaining the differance in the quads mentioned,however,I would like to add just one thing.If you select a Polaris,PLEASE make sure you have a very honorable dealer who knows how to treat and care for his paying customers.The Sportsman has been a fine 4x4 for allmost everyone I know that owns one.The Magnum would also be a super 4x4.Honda's, as Kevin earlier said,are the most bullet proof,but lacks the options that attracted me to the Sportsman.Good Luck in what ever you choose. BILL

Old 09-24-1999, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Resale?????. More trinkits or bullet proof.hmmmmmmmmm.I,d say rubicon but that's 8 months away.

we have--99 400ex LRD pipe, 99 450es.

Old 09-24-1999, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

trx430...

Do you really wait for vapor ware when you want something? First year productions are Famous for failures or oversights!

4x4 machines from what I observed at the Jamboree. Mud bog. A sportsman would have won it had it not been for one heavily modified Wolverine! That engine puts out nearly 40 horses.

Sled pull. The Grizzley's killed all others! Period.

Now what does that mean? Nuttin. whatever you get, sooner or later you will need some service work done. A good dealer can make up for a fair machine. A good dealer can make a great machine a real pleasure to own.!

Old 09-27-1999, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you all for your input. I did do alot of comparative analysis on many different machines and came to one conclusion, "Polaris Sportsman 500" is right for me. I bought one Saturday morning and used it all weekend at my hunting club. I worked it hard and it performed flawlessly. I think this machine will serve me well. If anyone has any suggestions on maintenance an d usefull add on products please let me know.

Thanks Again,
Joe Garner