Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

$1500 for a quad worth getting

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1999, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is a sport quad for $1500 worth getting because thats all I can afford I'm only 15 and have to pay cash my parents will not help me pay I want a quad but they are just so expensive I might just have to get a dirt bike

Old 11-01-1999, 01:26 AM
Range Rover

newbe

That would all depend on the model, the year, condition, etc. I know from experience that you can buy a fairly decent ATV for $1500 if you are willing to settle for an older model that possibly needs some work. BTW I know how it feels to be a teen without alot of money to spend on a quad. Good luck.

Old 11-01-1999, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newbe, Just as a suggestion, why not get on the Kelly Blue Book site (www.kbb.com),get in the make & model category of the machine you'd like and just poke around till you find what there is at the $1500 retail price? Those prices aren't more than guide lines, but at least they'd give you a ball park place to start looking. The next trick of course is to find one for sale at that price.
One caution, however, it might be wise to reserve some of that $1500 for repairs or parts on an older machine. Check the Cycle Trader for Tucscon & Phx also.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 11-01-1999).]

Old 11-02-1999, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

i know how you feel. being young and not having alot of money for things is tuff. quad sports are not bad machines. they have a decent amount of power from what i remember, and they have reverse and some electric start, depending on the model. hot-shoe had a good idea with the blue book. at least you can get a good idea of how much each quad is worth. i think you will find that people are selling them for alot more then they are worth in some cases. also, if you know alot about quads, then i am sure you will know what to look for when inspecting one. if not, take someone with you that knows alot about them. look it over good. it seems no matter how many times i looked quads over i always missed something. so, its bettter to have another person with you. check all the bearings, wheel bearings,axle bearings, swing arm bearing, wiggle everything, check to see if parts have alot of play in them, look for any noticeable cracks in the frame, (ha, something i missed), any oil drips. take it for a ride. i bought an '85 quadracer 250 for $1500.00. other then the crakcs in the frame that i mention, it was a very good running quad. luckily i just happened to be a welder at the time, and fixed it right up. didn't have any other problems with it. very well worth my $1500. don't jump on the first thing you see, and don't go just by looks. be patient. and always try to bargin for a better price. people will usually take a bit less then what they advertise for. good luck

Old 11-11-1999, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just because a quad is cheap doesn't mean its junk!

I bought a Honda 87 TRX250 for 700! Its a great runner..may not be new but it sure runs like it.

I got a '97 Polaris Trail Blazer pretty cheap. Even though it did have a nice hole in the transmission case!

Check out the paper. You never know when you will catch someone that is moving or just needs the cash and are willing to sell cheap!

Also don't jump on the first one you see in your price range..Look around there are tons of good deals out there!

Old 11-11-1999, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

newbe.
helpme- gives good advice.You never know what may fall into your lap.Be Patient they are out there.It's just a matter of time and place.

Old 11-18-1999, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I agree totally. The best deals are usually found when you've stopped looking.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-1999, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe a three wheeler would be a good bet since they cheaper than a four wheeler. As long as you have decent three wheeler skills there would be no problem with them.

Old 11-26-1999, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

three wheeler is definetly not what you want if your mom was woried about 4 wheelers then trhee wheelers is a suicide mission. I also am young (15) and bought a Yamaha Blaster for $1650 (the $50 was for new front fenders which I never got) and was bored out and all new bearings. Blasters are the best bikes for young riders, not to slow not to heavy and their resanably cheap.

------------------

Old 11-26-1999, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Blasters_rule
I'm over 6 feet tall and 170 pounds I don't think I would fit on a blaster.

Quick Reply: $1500 for a quad worth getting