Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying an atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2000, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope some of you can help me. I'm buying my first ATV and don't know which direction to go. I know I want a utility atv because I'd like to be able to haul a small trailer and possibly plow. I also want to be able to tool around on trails. I'm considering honda rancher 350es, foreman 450es or yamaha big bear 4x4. Honda dealer says rancher is the way to go because it is more manueverable than foreman. Others tell me rancher will be underpowered. Big bear 4x4 looks interesting but I don't know much about it. Any comments?

Old 01-24-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Clayman,

Have no experience with the specific models you mention but ...

Have an 87 Honda 350 4-Trax - dead reliable, starts first time everytime (even -45 on Saturday), runs well, never touched the engine, horrible brakes that rarely work well due to water and mud in the front drums, aweful shift operation to get it into reverse (push button, pull handle, press pedal - yuk!), solid front axle that will throw you if you catch something with the front wheel, full time 4WD that is hard to steer (wants to go straight, especially in slimy stuff and snow), rough ride but damn reliable.

Have a 98 Polaris Sportsman 500 - dead reliable, starts first time everytime, runs well, never touched the engine, excellent single lever all-wheel braking, excellent auto transmission that is always in the right gear, excellent independent suspension all around that gives the best ride of any machine I have been on, on demand AWD that makes for easy steering and great traction, will tow anything I put behind it (and there is no manual shifting under load like the Honda), goes like hell without screaming in top gear (like the Honda), smooth ride AND damn reliable. We fight over who gets to ride the Polaris (we just ordered another one to solve this problem).

Every brand has their individual problems. With some it is brakes, others it is front wheel bearings, others it is overheating, etc etc. Some machines, of every brand, were just built on Monday.

The two models I have spent any time with have been dead reliable from new. Neither has ever been back to the dealer. They both have their pros and cons. The Sportsman 500 is without a doubt the best machine of the two (features, ride, guts etc).

It comes down to brand/feature preference on your part - good luck.

DJ

Old 01-24-2000, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

clayman I've got two 97 trx 300's two wheel drive and they both have been very reliable and these machines are durable and easy to shift. I also have a 450s and es I got these to play in the mud! either one of these machines will do you proud. I also own a 2000 big Bear this machine is hard to shift I also think the body parts on the Yamaha is easier to break than the Honda's. on our first ride the right front fender broke. I also believe your resale will be better on the Honda. I'm going to sale the big Bear that is the reason I bought the es it is for my wife. my friend has a rancher es it seems to be a great machine I have rode it a couple of times. good luck with your choice!!

Old 01-25-2000, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Why Big Bear ,why not Kodiac2000 instead?
Do not like AUTO tran??
It has all u can ask 4. / my opinion/.

J.C.