Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Abernathy's or Sourthen Honda

Old 10-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abernathy's or Sourthen Honda

I am planning to buy a new Rubicon when they become available. Both Southern Honda and Abernathy's seem to have the lowest prices. Both are about the same distance from me.

I would like to hear from anyone who has dealt with either dealer. How are they to deal with? Does OTD really mean OTD or do they try to stick you with fees? Any other insight you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Abernathy's is all business. I like them! I have bought from them and it's wham-bam-thank you man. It's not like you sit around bs'ing with them and jew on the price. This is the price, take it or leave it style. As soon as you say you'll take it, they send you to one of the girls that fills out the paperwork.

In the mean time someone outside will be washing your new machine. It may not be really clean, but that is fine with me because I prefer to wash it myself and save hundreds of $$$. They just get dusty from sitting in their huge warehouse.

When I bought my CBR 929 from them it was perfectly clean when I picked it up. But, my buddy bought a 450R there and it was dusty. They didn't spend much time washing it, that's for sure. I think we were there an hour when he bought the 450R.

At Abernathy's they will include your states sales tax at the time of purchase.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply Daren. I don't mind the all business approach at all. You said that Abernathy's collects sales tax for your home state. That sucks. I was hoping to avoid that.

Any idea how Abernathy's is on accessories? I was thinking of having them install a winch and maybe a skid plate before I pick it up.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2004, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure on the accessories. I don't think they have a lot in the showroom, that is mainly Harley accessories. Surely they would have the winch and skid plate.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Daren420
It's not like you sit around bs'ing with them and jew on the price.

oooowww thats not nice.......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Let me correct what I previously said.

If they are not busy they will chat with you, but there isn't any negotiating on the price. When I bought my CBR 929 there in 2001, they told me it didn't matter who came through the door nor whether they bought 1 machine or 10, it was the same price. I like that. When I bought the 929, they told me that their most sales came on a July 4 weekend and they sold 50 machines on Friday and 49 on Saturday. That is moving some machinery!!

Abernathy's in the ONLY place that I'll be buying from in the future.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

another place is Lakehillmotors, when I called them last year they stated that they did not collect sales tax.... I've never purchased from LakeHill, but just a warning... I did purchase a atv from Bennett Yamaha in Iuka MS which is about 10 min away from Lake Hill, they did not collect sales tax either.... I did find out about 8 months later that the dealership filed paperwork with their state and that state filed paperwork with the state I live in and I ended up paying the sales tax anyways plus penalties...

Old 11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Mike. I had heard that Abernathy's did not collect sales tax either, but Daren said that they did. If they report the sale to my state anyway, it sounds like I would be better off if they did collect the tax. It would still be worth the drive.

Does anyone have any experience with Southern Honda in Chattanooga???

Thanks

Old 11-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a P700 from Southern a few months ago. The same setup I had was going to cost $7500 paying VA sales tax. I paid the 9.5% TN tax plus the Chattanooga business tax and sales tax and got the same setup for about $6500. They require a copy of your driver's license and proof of residency for out of state. They probably send tax paperwork to the other states so beware. You better know what you want when you get there. They push the extended warranty. You ain't gonna get anybody to help you at the parts counter. It's cheaper to order parts online anyway. A perception of a good deal to me is whether or not you got screwed regardless of the price. Too many times I have gotten screwed taking the lower price. I didn't have that perception this time and would probably go back. The mechanic did a really good job going over it as well. They have a Honda site as well. It's something like Hondasports or SouthernHonda. Similar low prices.

Lvl1trauma

Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RSeb
I am planning to buy a new Rubicon when they become available. Both Southern Honda and Abernathy's seem to have the lowest prices. Both are about the same distance from me.

Thanks.
already posted the url