Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV for plowing?

Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for plowing?

I am looking to buy a new ATV. I've never owned one, but used to ride 3 wheelers for a job years ago. I live on 300 acres of mostly forested, hilly terrain, bordering many thousands of acres of state land. Lots of logging roads. Here is what I need it for, with the most important first:

1. Snow plowing - 200 ft driveway, paths to outbuildings, rough roads through woods to fields. Upstate NY winters.
2. Hauling firewood - Cut about 5 cords a year
3. Clearing - Land was sloppily logged 5 years ago. Want to clean sections up.
4. Hunting
5. Exploring - mostly on logging roads

Note: I have a 40HP tractor for big jobs.

In terms of qualities I'd like the machine to have, here is what I want, most important first:

1. Reliability
2. Toughness - Don't want to feel like I'm straining the machine plowing a reasonable amount of snow.
3. Gearing/transmission/type of 4WD suited to the tasks above
4. Longevity
5. Ease of use

Here is what is NOT so important:

1. Speed
2. Cost (within reason)
3. Latest "hot" features
4. Ability to climb up a cliff
5. Ability to ride under water, through deep mud, etc.
6. Looks

So, basically, I'm looking for a workhorse that's powerful, easy to use and will last a long time. Thanks for any and all your advice. Love this forum!

Old 01-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

look into the grizz, 4x4 diff lock will do all of that at once, price is just under 7k, and youll find it much easier to use than your tractor.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

You could look at a Sportsman or Arctic Cat Get at least a 400, I suggest the 500.

I will talk about the Cat because I own one, it has 12" of ground clearance, great for plowing and driving over downed trees. Huge racks, and the highest rated rack capacity. They do have a MRP system to them as well, works great but go to the dealer to see it. Also IRS, I am never going back to SRA, and 10" of suspension travel can't be beat. The guys in the Cat forum have great luck with reliability, remember nothing is perfect, but they come with a 2-yr warantee. Cat's 500 can be had in a manual or auto, and comes with a front locker for the 4x4.

Whatever you get be sure you test it out first, there is no perfect quad for everyone, but you should be able to find something for yourself. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Right about now, with the new re-designed Rubicon hitting the market... I'd be looking to see if you can get your hands on an 04 for a discounted price. For the $, it will give you all you ask for, and more. Only suggestion is to think about getting a warn 2x4 kit with it, and maybe a winch for those times when you need to hual a log up a hill by winch. Also, take a look at Nichols.com's logging arch on this website. Doesa fantastic job hauling trees out of the woods. May make you rethink the tractor.

Definately get a 60 inch plow, and consider getting a power angle for the front if you don't want to keep getting off to adjust blade etc. Warn, as well as many others sell decent plows. If you have a lot of plowing to do, and get a lot of snow, you might want to consider the county style blade.

Lastly, do you have your heart set on an ATV? Yamaha's Rhino side by side, as well as items from Kubota, Polaris, Kawasaki etc can be real work horses about the farm, and you can take a passenger with you too..

Old 01-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Bobwater,

For you purposes, I think a yamaha big bear would do the trick very well.

Ryan