Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Polaris, Yamaha or Arctic Cat?** Bought The Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris, Yamaha or Arctic Cat?

It's between these three:
Arctic Cat 4X4 Automatic LE
Polaris Sportsman 400
Yamaha Kodiak 400

All are automatic, 4X4 with IRS.

Haven't found out yet if AC makes a true automatic or if they are all toe shift.

I am not sure about the Polaris as it is not a true 4X4 and I am leaning away from it.

A friend warned me against the Yamaha brand but I see that on here and other boards it comes recommended. Of course if we get it and it breaks, we will never hear the end of it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I am not sure about the Polaris as it is not a true 4X4 and I am leaning away from it.
It does have TRUE 4wd. ALL 4 tires spin. No need to stop and put it in 4wd and stop again to engage a front locker ONCE you are already stuck. Just flip the AWD swtich and go at it. The engagement of the 4wd is so fast that you will NEVER notice it. The people that **** and moan about Polairs's AWD system either A) have no idea how it works, or B) have never owned one or ridden one long enough to get a good feel for it. The big plus for this system is that it steers like a 2wd until the fronts wheels lock in. The other machines will have that heavy hard steering in 4wd and even worse with the front end locked. The Polaris isnt like that. The only downside to this system is the rear wheel only EBS. But, that is what that lever on the left handle bar is for. It is called a brake[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

oldsmoboat, the kodiak 400 doesnt have a front locker, so its not a true 4x4 it has a limited slip system. You should look at the 450 kodiak.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Yes the Arctic Cat 400 is a fully automatic, it can also be had with a 5-speed.

Go ride one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

After reading various threads and looking at and riding them, she decided on this:
Polaris
Thanks for the input.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Excellent choice!! I am sure she will be very happy with it. The blue is nice too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hello oldsmoboat. That sure is a pretty quad. Congrats. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Have a great day
BryceGTX

Old 01-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Hello oldsmoboat. That sure is a pretty quad. Congrats. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Have a great day
BryceGTX
Thanks. We took it out today and that sucker will go anywhere. I am now wishing I had bought one for my self.
I was supposed to pick up a Suzuki DR (motorcycle) for myself but the seller changed his mind and is keeping it.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Oldsmoboat,
All of the above machines are well built and of quality. Where and how your wife intends to ride may have some bearing on choice. Personally Polaris is not my first choice, but it is true AWD without flipping extra buttons or levers. Push a button at any speed and its locked in as soon as the rear wheels call for it. How simple is that? The A
WD drive system is its strength and engine braking is its weakness. So often we find the bike we want on paper but what it may come down to is what fits her, she has to be comfortable on it to enjoy the ride. You may want to gather all the information you can on all these bikes, knowing their strengths and weaknesses and then invite the wife to sit on them as the final evaluation. Placement of handlebars, seatheight, button control placements all have a voice as to how at home the rider feels. We can all play my bike is better than yours, but which bike is best for you is the real question. Just my 02. worth

Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

Out of the three I would go with the Kodiak 450. It's a super all around quad. I would have bought one if I wanted an IRS machine.

All new machines are made pretty well now a days so you can't hardly go wrong. You will or should I say she will be happy with whatever you buy. Best thing is to bring her to the dealer and let her take a spin on each.

Good luck.