Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Polaris, Yamaha or Arctic Cat?** Bought The Polaris

Old 01-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris, Yamaha or Arctic Cat?

Looking for a 4X4 with independent suspension and automatic transmission for my wife. Something around 400 CC.
Of the three mentioned, is one brand generally considered more reliable than the others?

Old 01-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

If you need a good 4x4, go with the kodiak 450. It has a front locking differential and it pretty small so you can slide in between places easier then if you had a big atv.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

All those mentioned have a front locking diff, so nothing to worry about there. Polaris's system works differently, but is still fine. If you are buying new, all will be pretty close as far as reliabilty goes. Polaris used to have a problem but I am sure they fixed it by now. I have had great luck with Arctic Cats. They have a 2 year warantee so that is nice. Just have her ride them and see what she likes! Good luck!

Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hello oldsmoboat. I think the difference in reliability of new quads is a wash now-a-days. Something to consider for you wife might be ease of use. I think the benifit of the Polaris is its an easy machine to use. It has auto-transmission, single hand brakes, easy to use 4wd system, legendary plush ride and if you get the non-EBS system, she will not be suprised by down hill braking. I was considering the same quad for my wife before we bought ours.
I hope this helps you.
BryceGTX

Old 01-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

catterman, a polaris 400 has awd. not 4x4. There similar yet different. Does the artic cat 400 have a locker on the front? i didint know that..

Old 01-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

non-EBS system
What is the non-EBS system? My wife mentioned something about a system like a jake brake. Is that it?
Also, on the AWD Polaris. Can it be forced to lock into 4X4 or does it just choose when to lock on it's own?
Thanks to all for the input.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

The Kodiak is alot smaller and lighter than the polaris also.Better power to weight ratio,and alot easier to maneuver.Has 2wd,4wd limited slip,and 4wd diff. lock.The new 2005 Kodiak also has IRS and a nice cool seat skin.The steering is also very light on the Kodiak.The polaris weights close to 700 lbs,where as the Kodiak weights around 600lbs.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: BigBaller
catterman, a polaris 400 has awd. not 4x4. There similar yet different. Does the artic cat 400 have a locker on the front? i didint know that..
My point was that the Polaris when engaged in AWD, does have the front end locked. Yes, the Arctic Cat 400 does have a locker.

One reason I no longer own a Polaris is because of the EBS and AWD system. In order for the 4x4 to engage, the rear tires have to be spinning 20%, or 1/5 of a tire rotation. So while you may have selected 4x4 on the lever, you won't be in 4x4 until the rear wheels slip. This really isn't too big of a problem, however with the EBS - Engine Braking System - your front tires won't be helping to slow down the ATV and it can be dangerous. I don't know what a Jake Brake is, but EBS is just the ATV using the compression of the engine to slow the machine down.

Don't know if that is all you were asking, but their you go! Have a great weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
Originally posted by: BigBaller
My point was that the Polaris when engaged in AWD, does have the front end locked. Yes, the Arctic Cat 400 does have a locker.

One reason I no longer own a Polaris is because of the EBS and AWD system. In order for the 4x4 to engage, the rear tires have to be spinning 20%, or 1/5 of a tire rotation. So while you may have selected 4x4 on the lever, you won't be in 4x4 until the rear wheels slip. This really isn't too big of a problem, however with the EBS - Engine Braking System - your front tires won't be helping to slow down the ATV and it can be dangerous. I don't know what a Jake Brake is, but EBS is just the ATV using the compression of the engine to slow the machine down.

Don't know if that is all you were asking, but their you go! Have a great weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
That is exactly what I was asking. I think my wife would have a hard time riding something where the handling characteristics were constantly changing depending on trail conditions.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hello oldsmoboat. The easiest 4wd system to use is the Polaris system. It will provide full traction to all 4 tires when needed. Your wife does not have to figure out when she needs to use a locker, when not to. You can drive on any surface with the polaris 4WD enabled and it will not slide the front tires when it turns corners like the others. Also, the steering will not become heavy in the corners like the others. EBS is not a jake brake. A jake brake is only used on diesel engines. EBS stands for engine braking system. It is offered as an option on the 400. The Polaris EBS only works on the rear wheels so your wife might not be comfotable with it. Catterman is severly oversimplifing the 4x4 drive on the Polaris. One thing he fails to mention is with a locking front end, the others have 3 tires slipping each time you turn a corner. So the issue of tires slipping is quite a bit more complicated. I would prefer my tires not to slip on a corner like a Polaris.
I hope this helps you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polaris, Yamaha or Arctic Cat?** Bought The Polaris